DennisLinkletter

Wicked Edge sharpeners?

I've seen their site, seems like a complicated system for a simple task. It takes some practice to learn how to sharpen freehand but after a few sessions you'll get the hang of it and all you'll need are a few good stones. It's a "feel the Force" thing, the first few times you try it you have no idea what's going on but with a little practice and good technique it becomes muscle memory and you have to try to screw it up.

Practice on cheap knives! :)

• Like 1

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shgl4pcset50.html

I've also long believed in freehand. The sound and feel tells you you're doing it right, like so many other rewarding activities.

These stones are incredible. My Japanese knives are as sharp as I've ever experienced, and even western knives easily come out sharp. The feedback tells you when to advance to the next stone, and these are twice as fast as natural or cheap synthetic stones.

One needs a holder of some description, and ideally a diamond stone for cleaning and flattening these (who cuts the barber?).

12 hours ago, Syzygies said:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shgl4pcset50.html

I've also long believed in freehand. The sound and feel tells you you're doing it right, like so many other rewarding activities.

These stones are incredible. My Japanese knives are as sharp as I've ever experienced, and even western knives easily come out sharp. The feedback tells you when to advance to the next stone, and these are twice as fast as natural or cheap synthetic stones.

One needs a holder of some description, and ideally a diamond stone for cleaning and flattening these (who cuts the barber?).

That's what I have, same grits even. Plus the holder and the lapping plate. Incredible stones, much nicer than the synthetic waterstones I used for years. :)