ckreef

Paragraph After Carriage Return

I believe we have discussed this before.

In the admin section of this forum software there is a setting for how the software behaves after hitting the Carrige return. 

If can be set for 1 of 2 different modes. 

1) Just do a Carrige return leaving the cursor on the following line. 

2) automatically start a new paragraph after Carrige return leaving the cursor 2 lines down with no way to delete the extra line. 

Currently the software is set to option #2. This works fine when typing a normal post as it saves you some key strokes.  Unfortunately this wreaks havoc on recipe posts. All your ingredients are now in separate paragraphs separated by a blank line with no way to correct the situation. 

Can we get the software switched to option #1? The only downfall I see is people will have to hit the Carrige return twice in order to start a new paragraph. 

If there is an easy way for me to do this on a post by post basis  I'm more than willing but haven't been able to figure that out. I currently have a few recipes I want to post but not willing with the paragraph after Carrige return situation (just makes for a crappy looking recipe post). 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1

I'm really looking for no spacing in between ingredients. Just makes a much cleaner recipe to read. 

At this point in life I only post Bistro original recipes. If I'm going to do that it has to look right. (I'm proud of the recipe I want to be proud of the post - Yea stupid I know). 

carrige.jpg

Hijacking this thread to register my frustration that an edit for spelin or gramer moments after we "Submit Reply" gets tramp stamped with "Edited..." Even if no one has responded. Even if no one has viewed the post yet.

This seemed the ideal thread, as [1] it's the most current discussion of forum ease of use, and [2] it has a glaring spelling error in it's title. It must be ridiculously painful for even a moderator to correct title spelling, or else someone would have helpfully fixed this.

On facebook I'll routinely delete a post and start over, to avoid the "edited..." stamp. Here, one can't delete posts silently. So one chooses which defaces one's post more, leaving in poor spelling and grammar, or replacing it with an "Edited..." stamp. There are activities like mudding a wall where one learns to leave well enough alone, any attempt to fix an imperfection leaves a more glaring imperfection. The forum software turns posting into mudding a wall, leave in spelling errors if the software is going to be that sensitive about all that.

But then, visitors who don't post have no idea about the effect of forum software on our ecosystem. They just think we're hicks who can't spell, which has to work against selling $4K cookers?

There is one appropriate time to leave minor spelling errors in one's writing: If one composes and types much faster that a correspondent, who might lay awake nights concerned that they have taken up way too much of your time, the "dashed off" look achieves a social nicety with a purpose. Carefully placed errors achieve this goal. Sort of like if you're a sleeper agent taking a special services exam, concerned that your perfect score will attract the wrong kind of attention. Carefully back off on an answer, without getting this back-peddling caught on video.

Edited by Syzygies
to mess with people

On 12/19/2016 at 11:06 PM, ckreef said:

I believe we have discussed this before.

In the admin section of this forum software there is a setting for how the software behaves after hitting the Carrige return. 

If can be set for 1 of 2 different modes. 

1) Just do a Carrige return leaving the cursor on the following line. 

2) automatically start a new paragraph after Carrige return leaving the cursor 2 lines down with no way to delete the extra line. 

Currently the software is set to option #2. This works fine when typing a normal post as it saves you some key strokes.  Unfortunately this wreaks havoc on recipe posts. All your ingredients are now in separate paragraphs separated by a blank line with no way to correct the situation. 

Can we get the software switched to option #1? The only downfall I see is people will have to hit the Carrige return twice in order to start a new paragraph. 

If there is an easy way for me to do this on a post by post basis  I'm more than willing but haven't been able to figure that out. I currently have a few recipes I want to post but not willing with the paragraph after Carrige return situation (just makes for a crappy looking recipe post). 

Hi @ckreef, for a single line on a PC you hold Shift + Enter and that will take you to the next line and not paragraph. Would that sort out the issue for you? I am not sure how this would work on a mobile device, but ill have a look.

With the extra spacing (paragraph) it sets out the posts a lot nicer i think. However this is how the software is currently set (from the supplier) and it can always be changed.

If you look at how Word spaces its lines these days, its usually 1.5 spacing. This makes thing easier to read at a glance.

Let me know your thoughts above and if that still does not help, ill start a poll and see what everyone's thoughts are.

Cheers.