dstr8

Kimchi + Shaved Brussels Sprouts + Bacon + etc. Pizza

Sorry no pics with the KK in them ... it was dark by the time pizza baking time commenced and also colder than shit outside :D

With some influence from a local Neapolitan pizza joint and a couple on line recipes I put these ingredients together for a first try and damn if it isn't one our favorites of all!    

Neapolitan dough (ala Jeff Varasano,  5-day cold ferment)

Mild kimchi (I would have preferred traditional spicy kimchi but need to keep the peace :D)

Shaved/thinly sliced fresh Brussels Sprouts "marinated" in a lemon vinaigrette at room temp for a couple hours before bake off

Rendered bacon (lardon size chunks mobetta)

Sauteed fresh thick slices of Portobello mushrooms ... shiitakes would have been even better but not worth the 20-mile round trip to get them :D

Sliced scallions

Regular NY style tomato based "pizza sauce" (saute fresh garlic, onions & oregano ... simmer for 90-minutes, reduce moisture content...)

Smoked mozzarella & regular un-aged provolone

Fresh cilantro (adorn the pie 30-60 seconds from pulling off the KK)

Baked at 700ºF atop the KK shaped stone

IMG_0141.jpg

• Like 4

Here is my home made kimchi recipe.

This is just delicious. Well worth the effort.

Ingredients

1 Napa Cabbage (2-2.5lb)

4 Scallions

1/4 of small yellow onion

2 tbsp salt

For the paste

3 tbsp Korean red chilli flakes (Gochugaru)

2 tbsp fish sauce 

1 tsp fresh grated ginger

2 tsp fresh minced garlic

1 tsp sugar

Method

Core and chop the Napa cabbage leaves into 1x2 inch bite sizes. Place in a large bowl and mix in the salt and let it sit for 1 hour. Mix it every 20 minutes to throughly combine the salt. Chop the onion finely as well as the scallions (use all the green stems) and set aside. Mix the paste ingredients together and sit aside. After 1 hour, discard the water that collects in the bowl and then thoroughly rinse the salt out of the Napa cabbage with a colander. This will take a few rinses. Set aside and let it drain completely for another 15 minutes.

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and make sure its throughly mixed. Place in a 2qt mason jar and press down firmly to take out all the air. You need to keep doing this as you set up the layers. Mix about 1/4 cup of cold water in the bowl to pick up the left over residue and pout on top of the jar. Close tightly and sit on a plate (in case any juices come out) for 3 days.

Try it each day until the fermented cabbage reaches your preference. You also want to let some of the gas escape the jar each day (warning, it is smelly and you may want to do that outside). I like mine well fermented and let it go for 3 days. After 3 days place in the fridge where it will keep for up to 6 months and keep slowly fermenting. It's ready to eat straight away, and only ever lasts about 2 weeks for me. After that I make another batch. It is delicious.

IMG_20161120_161132.jpg.8c9f5c19a66cadd15dc8d9c5a9b5a2bd.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I'd like to try making that one day. Never liked kimchi but I imagine it's because I've only had crap kimchi. That sounds and looks like something I would like. 

Kimchi is probably in the same category for me as Brussel sprouts. I hate brussel sprouts except when I make them. 

The great part about Kimchi is that you get to adjust the ferment to your taste. Some people do not ferment it at all and eat it fresh. I leave mine for 3 days at room temperature and the refrigerate. I make a new batch every 2 weeks or so. I taste it every day to see how it is coming along. If you have people that don't like the stronger flavor then you can knock it down by a shorter fermentation.

Next spring I am going to grow some Napa cabbages and do a really big batch. 

Give it a go mate, you will love it! Just be sure to buy quality ingredients. The most important ingredients that need to be authentic are the fish sauce and Korean red chilli flakes (gochugaru)

Edited by beermachine

34 minutes ago, beermachine said:

Just be sure to buy quality ingredients. The most important ingredients that need to be authentic are the fish sauce and Korean red chilli flakes (gochugaru)

There in lies the problem with where I live. I'll be on the lookout. Or maybe I'll mail order one day.