ckreef

Quandong Pork Chops

Quandong is a wild, desert peach type fruit native to Australia. Both the nut and fruit can be eaten. It is a hemiparasitic plant which uses the roots and base of other plants to get the majority of it's water and nutrients. This has made it a difficult plant to cultivate. Although some orchards now exist a large portion of the available fruit is still harvested in the wild.

A huge shout out to @Aussie Ora for giving me the opportunity to experience this exotic fruit. 

QCa.jpg

I started by poking with a fork and marinating for a bit in peach infused white balsamic vinegar. 

QCb.jpg

I rubbed them down with Bush Tomato Seasoning. 

QCc.jpg

For grilling I had a dredge plate of the Quandong and Chilli Sauce. 

QCd.jpg

Grilled direct for a few minutes, dredging them in the sauce along the way. Very tasty. This was an excellent choice for a quick weeknight meal with an exotic sweet peachy flavor. 

QCe.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

Dee wants some. What do think of the quandong

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Most excellent tasting sauce. Me and Mrs skreef loved it.  I really like trying these exotic Australian flavors. I'm getting to the point where the same old American flavors just don't cut it anymore. 

You're making an addict out of me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Ora said:

That sounds interesting. Quandong is a native Australian peach that has a very distinctive flavour from normal peaches

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Definitely a unique flavor compared to peaches in the States.

With that said I've cooked a lot of pork Tenderloins using a peach preserves mixture. Peaches and pork go well together. 

• Like 2

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 5:40 AM, ckreef said:

Most excellent tasting sauce. Me and Mrs skreef loved it.  I really like trying these exotic Australian flavors. I'm getting to the point where the same old American flavors just don't cut it anymore. 

You're making an addict out of me. 

Why do I have the old Steppenwolf song running through my head? :smt046

Bad news for the rest of us, shipping from their webstore is crazy expensive. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tony b said:

Shipping to and from Australia is a little expensive. When I ship a small box to Aussie Ora it's $50 USD. If I  did the exchange conversion right it's about the same for him to ship me a box.  

59 minutes ago, tony b said:

Why do I have the old Steppenwolf song running through my head? :smt046

Which song??

Looks like it is time to try and make a hot peach baste...  Thew shipping is killer.

I have had requests to make items to be sent to Austraila and I always tell the folks that it costs more to send it than it does to make it.

6 hours ago, FotonDrv said:

I have had requests to make items to be sent to Austraila and I always tell the folks that it costs more to send it than it does to make it.

Yup shipping costs more than what's in the box. For me and Aussie we're paying for the fun factor and a chance to try things we never would have.  Worth every penny to me.