Aussie Ora

Fried Green Tomatoes

42 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I can see I'm going to have a new use for green tomatoes. :) 

Fried green tomatoes are a southern traditional food. If you've never had them they are surprisingly sweet. The greener the better.  In the spring they actually sell green tomatoes in the grocery stores where I live. 

• Like 1

Look what I found in the grocery store today. Should go good with hamburgers tonight instead of French fries. 

As we were walking out of the store I mentioned to Susan, "Christmas is over, high 70's, green tomatoes in the grocery store, spring is just around the corner!" We went and got ice cream cones before heading home. 

GT.jpg

Let's just totally hijack this thread (sort of anyway - sorry Aussie - LOL). 

Here is what I'm talking about - sliced thin green tomatoes. 

GTb.jpg

Made some Australian All Star American Burgers - I have to source from Australia to get an American burger - just cracks me up - but they were some of the best burgers I've cooked in a while. 

GTc.jpg

The green tomatoes fried up - would rather have these than French fries. 

GTd.jpg

So tonight at the Bistro we had a fried green tomato debate - sweet or sour (like dill pickles). I was in the sweet camp. Mrs skreef and Hawke were in the sour camp. They ended up convincing me but sour like dill pickles except no vinegar twang.