Aussie Ora

Bugs and tigers

So whilst I was up at Gero I popped into the seafood co-op and got some Morton bay bugs and tiger prawns I thought I would marinate the prawns in some of thisd850aad8bf64c808fe5acc25b1eb8557.jpglook at them yum737f499bd7a25256333ba76d15ccee39.jpgmarinated and placed in the fridge.3f27d6af1dfdd156ec19fb26effda646.jpgI got four bugs three where the same size pretty decent and one was awesome only need two for this cook20dd4a80d9da02d94afcfb29cefe320f.jpgcut the heads off and pulled out the goodnessaa2b1f60400b1844c2a35dde01ead6b1.jpgthen butterflied themd686c001735eaacc81a8f760df5d9953.jpgI got Ora up to 400 and made up a butter ginger mint sauce.d7a0b376438086ac57e3d3fdb8604401.jpgthe Tigers are ready1e96552d9b25b2e22bf0193c6d7cff64.jpgbasted the bugs with the butter sauce24ca0ccaa9c3aea962389a94db14caa9.jpgand on they go76c0cd3e8ad24add8f20875dc76d285d.jpgafter a few minutes I gave them a turn05606ca9538d78036d20b753a6fc3a05.jpgthen flipped them on their backs3db221d1574b80b7b1be310c41daa1f9.jpgand gave them some more sauce062844edfa5c8396b40724294ccbdcce.jpgready to go just close them up to keep warm whilst I throw on the tigers37ca1a951626528895208b805057cb8b.jpgon go the tigersbdebb3a06d570fa8ffac143378650d46.jpglooking good52607b51332e03bcaf859c6a0acc3a86.jpgand ready06c9cbda9db9788b745fab67101bc2ca.jpgand plated with some salad and my new favorite backdrop lol4a81654b386897c8c522b0af097604bb.jpgcan never get enough bugs or tiger prawns they taste great especially on the grill

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 6

Pacific lobsters, and one reason they are called "Bugs".  They have no pincers, but don't get your hand involved with that tail!

I used to live in a place that had a very active lobster (bug) factory/cannery.  The lobster were sorted from the traps when they got the boats back into the cannery and all the undersized bugs were thrown into the bay!!  You can imagine that the bay was full of those things after 75 years of that practice.  The catching of those things was easy back in the day (1965), probably illegal now.

Edited by FotonDrv-Stephen

46 minutes ago, FotonDrv-Stephen said:

Pacific lobsters, and one reason they are called "Bugs".  They have no pincers, but don't get your hand involved with that tail!

I used to live in a place that had a very active lobster (bug) factory/cannery.  The lobster were sorted from the traps when they got the boats back into the cannery and all the undersized bugs were thrown into the bay!!  You can imagine that the bay was full of those things after 75 years of that practice.  The catching of those things was easy back in the day (1965), probably illegal now.

Sorry mate, but that is 200% bullshit. That was not a "Pacific Lobster" is was a 'Moreton Bay Bug'.

Here is a Pacific Lobster. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 8.40.18 PM.png

Hey guys, check this out.  We used to catch lots of these in the waters off of Newport Beach California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_spiny_lobster

In this link you can see the many different varieties without pincers, although some people have tossed in photos of the eastern lobsters.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pacific+lobster&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizsae265rRAhUJ5WMKHTp5BRcQsAQINQ&biw=1368&bih=867&dpr=1.09

They get very large and have no pincers.  And no "Bullshit", there are several variations of the Pacific lobster, you know, the ones without pincers, and they are different sized and colored and a bit different shaped but the main distinction is the pincers.  The guys in Maine (eastern USA) would argue vociferously about the fact that THEY have the only lobsters; take that up with them :-)

added a link and text

1 hour ago, beermachine said:

And here is your bug:

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 8.44.24 PM.png

That is a pretty unique looking critter!  A Moreton Bay Bug???  Does it only live in shallow waters with mud bottoms?  I just Googled it, "Slippery Lobster or Oriental Lobster" found in the far western Pacific and Indian Oceans and into the Red Sea.  Never eaten one, can you discribe how different it would be compared to the Spiny Pacific Lobster?

added text

Let me interject what little knowledge I have. I've never eaten a Morton Bay Bug or a Pacific Spiney Lobster. 

I've lived on the east coast (of the States)  for my entire life and have eaten plenty of lobsters.

New England lobsters have pinchers. They are more tender with a sweeter meat. FL Keys Spiney lobsters are a bit tougher and not as sweet as their northern cousins (and yes I've caught my own FL keys Spiney lobsters before and ate them within an hour or two of pulling them out of the ocean).

Not really sure of my intent with the above post. 

3 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Let me interject what little knowledge I have. I've never eaten a Morton Bay Bug or a Pacific Spiney Lobster. 

I've lived on the east coast (of the States)  for my entire life and have eaten plenty of lobsters.

New England lobsters have pinchers. They are more tender with a sweeter meat. FL Keys Spiney lobsters are a bit tougher and not as sweet as their northern cousins (and yes I've caught my own FL keys Spiney lobsters before and ate them within an hour or two of pulling them out of the ocean).

Not really sure of my intent with the above post. 

The spiny lobster are indeed pretty tasty.  I met a fellow 40 years ago that was farming eastern Maine lobster in an old sardine cannery in Monterey Calif.  He had thousands of small fry in the giant commercial processing tanks and I cannot help but imagine that some of the microscopic youngsters escaped to live in Monterey Bay and thrive.  That would throw the entire ecosystem into a dither with a predator with those large pincers in the area.  In any case it was an interesting endeavor to grow the lobster for sale to restaurants.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Ora said:

Bugs are a medium to strong in flavor but I find them a bit sweet and prefer them from crayfish https://www.australiantropicalfoods.com/index.php/australian-seafood/moreton-bay-bug/

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

I wonder how they would compare to the Eastern USA Maine type of lobster which I too find to be sweeter than the crayfish type in the Pacific and apparently CKREEF thinks they are sweeter too.  Now you have me all interested in finding a Slippery Lobster (Morton Bay Lobster) to try!!  There are many Asian markets in Seattle so that will be the starting point of this quest :-)

• Like 1