Aussie Ora

Bugs and tigers

8 hours ago, FotonDrv-Stephen said:

I wonder how they would compare to the Eastern USA Maine type of lobster which I too find to be sweeter than the crayfish type in the Pacific and apparently CKREEF thinks they are sweeter too.  Now you have me all interested in finding a Slippery Lobster (Morton Bay Lobster) to try!!  There are many Asian markets in Seattle so that will be the starting point of this quest :-)

I really didn't realize the taste difference for a long time. Then one day the grocery store had a twin pack of tails,  one Maine tail and one spiney tail. I prepped them the same and cooked them side by side. It was a good taste test. There is a huge difference in taste and a small difference in texture. I definitely prefer the sweeter Maine tails and won't even buy the spiney tails anymore. 

Another tidbit of info I researched one day - There is also a physical difference in prawns and shrimp. Essentially the same creature and the world tends to interchange the two words. A lot of people think it is about the physical size (prawns being extra large shrimp).  That is incorrect they are really two different crustaceans. The two have a different lineage and can be distinguished by the size and placement of the small pincher legs. Although for cooking and eating purposes can be interchanged. I would love to get an extra large shrimp and a similar sized prawn and give them a side by side taste test. 

• Like 1