Pequod

This Quacks Me Up

This is my Guru challenge entry for December. Here it is:

Tea Smoked Duck Tacos, Asian Vinegar Slaw, and Hoisin Barbecue Sauce, and homemade flour tortillas too!

My wife is pulling the evening shift at the hospital for both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, so tonight is our last opportunity for a family celebration before my son heads back to school. We decided to do Tea Smoked Duck Tacos from Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke, with some minor mods.

Many people are intimidated by smoking a duck but it’s really quite easy once  you figure out which end to light. I’ll pause for the groans…

BhDkwke copy.jpg

Please don’t ignite your duck! Do this instead:

Raichlen’s smoking mixture consists of Chinese black tea, white rice, brown sugar, star anise, cinnamon sticks, orange peel, and cherry wood chips. His recipe directs us to throw this mixture on the fire at two different times, but I'm not real hot on the idea of throwing brown sugar and rice into the belly of my KK. Instead, this seems like the perfect application for the smoke pot. Just need to take care that none of the small grains of rice or other matter plug one of the holes on the bottom. So…let’s start with a bed of cherry wood chips.

IMG_1933.jpg

Next, we’ll add a layer of foil and make a pouch to contain the other smoking ingredients, then poke holes in the top of the packet:

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

Next, let’s make the rub for the duck, consisting of sugar, salt, black pepper, chinese five spice, ground coriander, and cinnamon.

IMG_1937.jpg

And rub up our duck, first painting it with a tablespoon of dark sesame oil.

IMG_1944.jpg

And make our Asian Vinegar Slaw with some Daikon radish, carrots, and small cucumber.

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

Finally, simmer the Hoisin Barbecue Sauce for a bit. Besides the Hoisin, contains soy sauce, dark sesame oil, dry sherry, ginger, cilantro…

IMG_1943.jpg

I’m using my CyberQ today because I have a really nasty cold and want to minimize my number of trips outside. I put the smoke pot on.

IMG_1945.jpg

Then the duck on the main grate, with the double bottom drip pan below to hopefully catch the fat that renders so I can save it for another day (yum!).

IMG_1946.jpg

The smoke pot is working, and the smoke definitely has a spicy note to it. Not your ordinary wood smoke.

IMG_1955.jpg

After about two hours I'm ready to paint another coat of sesame oil and then crank the heat.

IMG_1960.jpg

Done.

IMG_1961.jpg

Wife and daughter are making homemade flour tortillas.

IMG_1966.jpg

Time to eat!

IMG_1968.jpg

Super delicious. We'll definitely be making this again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Crazy good looking duck! 

Just curious as to why you used that separate rack for the duck? 

No particular reason other than it was the rack that the duck was oiled and rested on in the fridge, so figured it was well lubed. Just lift off the whole thing and place on the main grate.

A brief follow-up for all you pot smokers out there. Errrr...smoke potters. Today I retrieved the smoke pot from the belly of the beast. Here is what I found:
7debc7c6a9d67f55db5154142f790607.jpg

And when I pried open the foil...definitely nicely charred with melted together sugar and rice.
b6822888f9bc4feeb8ca778872c02024.jpg

Seems to have worked, and very glad that glob of sugar and rice was contained in the foil rather than my kamado.