Paul

New KK Owner in Nor Cal

Hello all!

New KK owner Paul here. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I first starting drooling over these cookers about 10 years ago and have been an avid forum follower since. As all of you know life gets in the way and there are always competing priorities. Cars and education for the kids, home maintenance and improvement projects, kids getting married, aging parents, the list goes on and on.

I’ve always owned charcoal grills, mainly Weber and what my son named the Frank’n Smoker…a homemade combination of three different smokers I modified and made into one. Well, I lost all of them in the Nor. Cal. Valley Fire of 2015.

Anyways this is my first Kamado cooker. I thought while I’m replacing things I might as well replace them with the best! I’m only three cooks in (steaks, pork roast, baby-back ribs) but I’m really enjoying it so far. I know, no pixs so it didn’t happen!! But trust me there is a cobalt blue 16” TT named Bob from the Black Friday Sale on the patio. I’m hoping to do the burn in next week.

So now for the good news. I knew the 16” wasn’t big enough and I would need another KK at some point. I see the Reef’s Bistro gets by just fine with a 16.5” and 19” TT and I thought it would work for me. Well I get home the other day and my wife points at Bob and says, “these things sure are expensive” and I reply “yup” and then she says “they sure are well thought out, engineered, you’re going to get the one with the extra wheels underneath it right?” I almost fell over. I was thinking I might be able to talk her into a 23” but she’s opened the door on a BB 32” and all the way to a 42”!! And in a roundabout way told me she’s checking out the KK site. My God I love that woman! Her only request is that it’s green, a nice deep forest green. So Dennis I’m still in construction mode rebuilding our homes but once I’m finished I’ll be looking for a green BB 32”.

Happy New Year All!

Cheers!!

Paul

Welcome to the madness!  The 16TT is a good place to start with your Kamado cooking, but as you can see the big ones have an allure all their own.  I hope to have 2 someday so you are not alone on the thoughts of a BB32 or even a 42 someday :-)

Edited by FotonDrv
spelling

It's totally awesome when your better half is on board. Makes life so much easier. 

Two KK's are definitely a necessity. I use both at the same time on a regular basis. I even brought out my Akorn Jr on Christmas and had 3 kamados going. 

Not sure if I could talk Mrs skreef into a third KK (22" TT).  Soon enough it'll only be us 2 and we don't do any large entertaining. 

With that said a large Yakatori is definitely on the short list. Unfortunately the one I really want I fear has now been discontinued and I can't seem to find a suitable replacement.