Paul

New KK Owner in Nor Cal

Impressions…

As I mentioned I have drooled over these cookers and followed the forum for years. I must say I was very surprised the first time I fired Bob (as in Marley) up. Filled the charcoal basket and opened the vents. I watched the temp rise to 300* then I shut the top vent to ¼ turn open and just a sliver opening on the bottom. The temp dropped to 225*-230* and settled in at ~250*. This was just playing around and I was able to hit the 250* target temp first try! Too easy.

The dreaded burn in…

It wasn’t bad at all. Fill the basket, open the vents, and lite it off. Started at 300* and increased in 50* increments with hour holds. Nothing happened till around 500*-550*. Only two areas vented and there wasn’t any tile bubbles. Held it at 600* for an additional 1.5 hours after the smell and venting stopped. I have to tell you my wife was really into it. I explained the burn in process and why it needs to be done. She was outside checking the progress as often as I was. Later in the day some friends came over and she walked them through progression flawlessly. I'm going to have too keep an eye on her.

Summary…

With the exception of one cook I have had no problem hitting the target temp. And that one cook was only off by 25*. I think the temp increase was due to more smoking wood in the charcoal basket. Doesn’t smoking wood burn hotter than charcoal?

I am surprised by how much the cold grates and deflector suck the temp down. I think a big part of it is the fact it’s only a 16”. Not nearly as much thermal mass. Taking into account this is my first ceramic cooker I think things are going well and will only get better. I haven’t received any complaints so something going right!

• Like 1

Sounds like a good first impression. I started with a 16" TT. A very capable grill. My wife wasn't thrilled with spending that much on a grill. Wasn't long before she too wanted another KK (one just isn't enough). We ended up buying a matching 19" TT. 

I always thought it's easier to buy the smaller one first. If I had started with the 19" not sure I would have bought another one. 

11 hours ago, Paul said:

With the exception of one cook I have had no problem hitting the target temp. And that one cook was only off by 25*. I think the temp increase was due to more smoking wood in the charcoal basket. Doesn’t smoking wood burn hotter than charcoal?

Don't sweat the 25F difference, it's practically meaningless in almost all cooks. Sounds like you're getting a good handle on it. Now, time for some pictures of your cooks!! 

What a great experience and even better your wife is into it as well .I had been cooking on a kj classic 18in and a kj Jr before I decided to get a KK which was through misfortune but turned out great, I was looking at the 19 but thought I already have an 18 there are only two of us why not go the 23 may not need all the space but may come in handy I'm so glad I did these cookers rock

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill