FotonDrv

Cold Smoker w/Pump

I saw the recommendations but since I did not know which product I would like I settled for a few of each.  If I had been really thinking I would have gone with the CoCoChar exclusively and a lot of it since other "Flavoring" woods are easy to find and some in the woods around me.

And good advice it is too. I loaded up with a good amount of coco char with my 23 and will do the same with coffeewood lump on the next purchase. 

While coco is great for smoking due to lack of flavor, you certainly can smoke with any charcoal, which is the norm for most other grills and smokers. We're just a bit spoiled in KK land by the coco char. 

I'm probably the only one who doesn't like the Coco char. I don't like how it gets really brittle after being heated up. Of course this might have to do with my grilling habits which is mostly md to high temp. 

I absolutely loved the coffee char. Just a bit pricey for me and I don't have the cash for a pallet anyway. 

Yes, the CoffeeChar is good but it imparts a flavor, nice flavor but flavor none the less.  Now, do you use CoffeeChar with other woods for smoke flavors?? 

In the past I have been using Alder for fowl and fish and Mesquite for other meats and been pretty happy with it since the charcoal is providing the smoke I have not found it advantageous to add other woods.  If I lived in the eastern part of the USA I probably would go for hickory since it is abundant.  When I lived in central and southern California I used Live Oak bark added to briquets (when I did not know better). 

Now IF I HAD THE $$$ for the CoffeeChar the other problem is where to put a pallet of it, so splitting pallets sure makes sense, provided the price is right.

I currently use Lazzari Mesquite Lump in the 40# bags and our local BevMo sells it at a reasonable price.  Once the Coffee and CoCo runs out I am afraid I will be using it, along with some Alder if I can get it locally from a wood cutting buddy. 

Does anyone make their own Charcoal?

51 minutes ago, FotonDrv said:

Does anyone make their own Charcoal?

Yes I have and I have a homemade barrel style charcoal retort in my backyard. Not hard but does take a bit of work and extremely dry wood. You also better live out in the country (which I do and my few neighbors are really kewl). On a good day the smoke went straight up. Way up I'm sure you could see it for miles away. On a bad day I filled the woods in probably a mile radius with thick dense smoke. I have a post in kamado guru - I'll see if I can grab a link. 

• Like 1

I've had the KK smoker for a while now and today I decided to bump up my pump. Well naturally I had to do a test run, and it worked great, it is uses about 50% more watts.It ran for about 2 hours until it ran out of wood chips. I do find that you need to pay attention and knock down the chips if the smoke is not keeping up.

It was dark outside but I did grab this pix.

KK Smoker.jpg

I think once I run it in the KK that the draft will help it draw, we'll see at the next smoke. :) I am anxious to try it but have no smoking plans. :( Maybe I should do some nuts. :) 

Yes, you posted over here as well, Charles. Didn't go looking for it, but should be fairly easily found.

Cute, MacKenzie. The nuts were super easy, but it was a windy day for me and keeping the cold smoker burning was a bit of a challenge. Good thing it was a short smoking session. Cashews came out great after only 30 minutes. Need to work on the almonds. Tasty, but not really smoky flavored, just toasty. 

14 hours ago, ckreef said:

Yes I have and I have a homemade barrel style charcoal retort in my backyard. Not hard but does take a bit of work and extremely dry wood. You also better live out in the country (which I do and my few neighbors are really kewl). On a good day the smoke went straight up. Way up I'm sure you could see it for miles away. On a bad day I filled the woods in probably a mile radius with thick dense smoke. I have a post in kamado guru - I'll see if I can grab a link. 

Get a good inversion layer and the smoke would hang for a long time I bet!!  Once we lived in a place where the neighbors were growing pot.  They thought they would be clever and burn the stems and junk in their woodstove to get rid of the evidence; HA!  There was an immense cloud of smoke in the valley resulting from their trash fire that I am sure alerted anyone who cared.  People were asking them what they were burning, knowing full well what it was, and for months they were fending off questions :-)

A Link to the charcoal maker is great, thank you!

Edited by FotonDrv
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

I use redheads down here we call them robot turds look similar to the coco char and impart no flavor. as far as getting any in my shipment it was a flat no coming into Australia .I could order a pallet but can't see that happening

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

"redheads"???  I know redheads as bolts for concrete attachment systems.

14 hours ago, ckreef said:

@FotonDrv check out this thread 

Backyard Lump

You'll have to scroll through a bit to get the good pictures. First attempt not dry enough wood. Second attempt much better. This post might also be on this forum. 

That is quite a lot of work and I admire you for your persistence.  And apparently you made a pulse jet in the process when it was really cranking; I bet the temps went way high!

Thanks for the Link :-)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Tony, did you do any prep work for the nuts? 

None for the cashews, as they were already roasted and salted. Since the almonds had no flavoring, I whipped up an egg white with a splash of water in a bowl and tossed them in to coat them, then sprinkled on the seasonings. I forgot that the almonds were for baking and so were raw. When they came off the cold smoker I ended up tossing them in the oven to finish. Lost a lot of smoke flavor in the process. Next time, I'll either buy roasted almonds or will reverse the order and toast them first before the egg bath and cold smoking. Oh, almost forgot, I was using perforated baking sheets. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FotonDrv said:

Thanks Jeff, I thought that would be the answer.

With that Cold Smoker there are some flanges on the KK side of it; what are they for??  I don't see corresponding mounting tabs on the KK.

I honestly don't know. I've wondered the same myself. 

I have seen some KKs with bolts on the body that fit into the smoker  but I don't have them so I need to rig up something so that the cylinder does not tip over with fire in it and on my deck.:) I tied it the last few times but need to figure out a better arrangement. ;)

You can have a little heat and do cheese but like HalfSmoke said the smoking pot would probably take too much heat and the cheese will melt.