FotonDrv

Cold Smoker w/Pump

After thinking about it overnight I came up with yet another question about the CS.  Will it fit in place WITH THE WING TABLE IN PLACE??

If it does, and would not run the risk of setting that wing table on fire, then the wing table supports might be able to be fastened to the tabs on the CS???

Well, I just ordered one and we will see what it takes to make it stable without drilling and tapping the ceramic walls of the KK.  If I can't figure out something that is solid ad works flawlessly then I can send smoke signals to the navy across the bay :-)

I've not had any problems with it rotating on me by itself, unless I bump it accidentally. It's a fairly firm fit into the Guru port. 

I've always wondered what Dennis intended with that bracket in the middle of the exhaust pipe? Then he posted about boring a new port into the KK wall so you could still use the Guru in parallel with the Cold Smoker. I'm not planning to drill any holes in my KK in my lifetime, so I guess it's just an accoutrement on the CS. 

@FotonDrv - I tried to "cold smoke" some cheese before the Cold Smoker became available. I was trying to keep the temperature as low as I could in the KK with a couple of pieces of lit lump and tossing wood chips onto them periodically for smoke. I let the temps get away from me and the cheese ended up looking like something out of a Salvadore Dali painting - LOL!!

th?id=OIP.M01ac7c1604d8601658ed9fe3f0b8b449o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=214&h=161

TonyB, I love Dali's work!  Can you imagine having him as a neighbor??!!! :-)

I will work on a support system if needed once it arrives.

Today I cut some Japanese Plumb limbs and some Japanese Pear limbs so I will have some fruitwood, plus the store bought stuff.  Now to chop and split for the Cold Smoker.

IMG_2938.JPG

10 hours ago, tony b said:

@FotonDrv - if you're going to use those limbs in the CS, they need to be fairly small, not bigger than 1.5 inches in length/diameter. Think wood chips vs chunks. 

Let me see, I have a radial saw, a chop saw, a table saw, a bandsaw, a Sawsall, a jigsaw, and a wide variety of hand saws (the Japanese pulls saws are my favorite) so cutting to length is no problem.  Then I have a wide variety of hatchets, axes, splitting mauls and splitting wedges and if I needed to get fancy I could turn them down to size in one of 2 lathes I have for the job.

I do believe I am armed for the job, but I bet there is a particular size that works best.  "No bigger than 1.5 inches", is that in both dimensions?

If I use the Gas Port then what about smoke "Pooling" in the bottom?  Does my wild thought about starting a very small fire ABOVE everything on the top grill make any sense?

Edited by FotonDrv
added text

11 minutes ago, FotonDrv said:

If I use the Gas Port then what about smoke "Pooling" in the bottom?  Does my wild thought about starting a very small fire ABOVE everything on the top grill make any sense?

1. I'd be very careful about introducing any heat source when cold smoking. Heat doesn't only travel up. It diffuses everywhere.

2. I've seen no pooling of smoke in the few cold smokes I've done, but am cold smoking again soon so will take a look. 

3. Even if there is pooling, this doesn't change the overall flow rate of smoke particles flowing through the system and over your cheese, which is all that matters. Kind of like a stream entering a pond on one end and exiting another. At equilibrium, the amount entering must equal the amount leaving, even if it's a very big pond it is flowing through. 

I suggest trying the cold smoker as is in the guru port. It works. 

3 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

1. I'd be very careful about introducing any heat source when cold smoking. Heat doesn't only travel up. It diffuses everywhere.

GOT IT, THE KK IS VERY THOROUGH AT MIXING THE AIR.

2. I've seen no pooling of smoke in the few cold smokes I've done, but am cold smoking again soon so will take a look. 

WILL GIVE IT A TRY.

3. Even if there is pooling, this doesn't change the overall flow rate of smoke particles flowing through the system and over your cheese, which is all that matters. Kind of like a stream entering a pond on one end and exiting another. At equilibrium, the amount entering must equal the amount leaving, even if it's a very big pond it is flowing through. 

THERE ARE A BUNCH OF WELL EDUCATED ENGINEERS ON THIS FORUM; WOULD ANY ONE OF THEM HAVE A HEAT PROOF CAMERA TO STICK INTO THE KK TO WATCH THE HEAT/SMOKE FLOW??  SORT OF LIKE A WIND TUNNEL TEST.

I suggest trying the cold smoker as is in the guru port. It works. 

WILL DO :-)

25 minutes ago, FotonDrv said:

THERE ARE A BUNCH OF WELL EDUCATED ENGINEERS ON THIS FORUM; WOULD ANY ONE OF THEM HAVE A HEAT PROOF CAMERA TO STICK INTO THE KK TO WATCH THE HEAT/SMOKE FLOW??  SORT OF LIKE A WIND TUNNEL TEST.

Back in the day I remember some fancy cameras that would allow us to peer inside a section of a rocket motor as it was burning to look for a particular anomaly. That was very expensive and we didn't do it that often. Cool videos, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlieren_photography

• Like 1

I just knew there would be some very informed soul that knew about this stuff!  Yep, very expensive is an understatement.  The stuff that NASA and the Aerospace program in general uses is truly amazing and is one of the things that drew me to that field initially, you know, "boy and their toys", but the knowledge derived is still helping us today in the civilian world.

I worked on parts of some pretty interesting project, very small parts but enough to get my brain stimulated.  I worked for a division of Coleman Engineering on the camera systems but I got to go up and poke at the dummies they used for the tests.  Wow, really scary, like poking a corpse!

Hurricane Mesa1.png

Hurricane Mesa2.png

Hurricane Mesa3.png

Hurricane Mesa4.png

Hurricane Mesa5.png

Here is another photo, courtesy of the French Researchers, that I needed when one of my previous hobbies got the best of me.  I really wanted to know why a round ball was not accurate in flight, even if it was a 40mm round ball.

fullsizeoutput_b33.jpeg

Edited by FotonDrv
Added text and photo
  • Like 3

Fun stuff! Yeah, the dreaded sphere is one of those classical problems of fluid dynamics that tortures many an undergrad, usually in a wind tunnel lab class. 

My Master's research was sponsored by a French rocket company (don't think they exist anymore) and got to brief some folks at ONERA too. The French are whip smart in this area. I remember ONERA's cafeteria being one of the best restaurants I'd been to.

One of the highlights of that phase of my career was meeting Werner Dahm, the last of the Peenemunde Germans at NASA MSFC. His group sponsored my Ph.D. research. Was very surreal as a young grad student being invited into his office for technical discussions.

But haven't done anything in fluid dynamics or rocket propulsion for the last 23 years. More into electronics and artificial intelligence these days.

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HalfSmoke said:

un stuff! Yeah, the dreaded sphere is one of those classical problems of fluid dynamics that tortures many an undergrad, usually in a wind tunnel lab class. 

Bad flashback to grad school!! 

@FotonDrv - Yeah, it think you've got the wood chipping issue well in hand! :smt046 

The chips that I got from Fruita Wood look like they were just run through a chipper. Random small bits of various sizes. I occasionally find one that I have to break up to get it to fit inside the CS. My advice is to keep'em small. They'll fill in better inside the smoker. Classic efficiency problem - optimal size for good airflow (not too small) vs maintaining a continuous burn (not too big), plus not having to refill the tube if you want to smoke something for a couple of hours. 

• Like 1