FotonDrv

Cold Smoker w/Pump

Jeff, very cool stuff!  Nice to know there are other tech geeks out there that like cooking :-)

I was engaged in the Aerospace field in the early 1960's with the first project being to wire the power supplies for the cameras that went into the Tiros "Weather" satellite (I was a teenager with connections).  Ha!, we could photograph a golf ball on a green from space, and that was a very long time ago.  Now we could tell you the make of the ball and if it had been topped...  I was working on the Apollo Saturn moon rocket program on the guidance systems when I got drafted and guess what the Gov't said?  "Son, you failed the electronics test and passed the machine gun test, your in the Army now".  What a waste of manpower and when I got back from my all expenses paid vacation to Indochina I never worked in aerospace again.  At the time it was not the policy to hire disabled Vets.

Edited by FotonDrv
correction

6 minutes ago, tony b said:

Bad flashback to grad school!! 

@FotonDrv - Yeah, it think you've got the wood chipping issue well in hand! :smt046 

The chips that I got from Fruita Wood look like they were just run through a chipper. Random small bits of various sizes. I occasionally find one that I have to break up to get it to fit inside the CS. My advice is to keep'em small. They'll fill in better inside the smoker. Classic efficiency problem - optimal size for good airflow (not too small) vs maintaining a continuous burn (not too big), plus not having to refill the tube if you want to smoke something for a couple of hours. 

I do have a chipper that would handle those limbs, maybe that would be the easiest thing to use.  Yes, refilling the tube was the reason I bought the CS primarily because of the refill when the cooker is going with food in it.  Pulling the Ci with a hot firebox and food on the grill sounded a bit of a hassle.

For me the fluid dynamics for the sphere was trying to hit a 24 inch diameter target at 400 meters with a rifled breech loading cannon.  We had bore scopes and cameras for same and we had chronographs to measure bullet speed but understanding why we were fighting accuracy problems is where that photo of the sphere came in so handy.  Seeing such a flow inside the KK would be like magic!

Full Scale 1-1:2" Whitworth 1865 breech loadeing rifle(40mm).jpg

3 minutes ago, tony b said:

Reminds me of all the horror stories of having to rescue some of out top scientists from WWII battlefields when the Manhattan Project started. War is such a terrible waste of human potential. 

AMEN! to that!!

The only good thing I got out of it was an understanding of how much physical and mental abuse a person can take and still keep on going!  I am glad that I do not have nightmares about it.

My thing back in the day was computational fluid dynamics. It's usually too hard to see what's going on inside flowfields even with the best experimental equipment and cameras, but we CAN simulate our way to a GREAT picture. This 10 seconds of video took over 100 hours of Cray supercomputer time to compute back in 1991. Could do the same thing now on my iPhone. Doesn't look like much, but it shows all the dynamics of turbulent compressible flow inside a channel (i.e., rocket motor) at Reynolds number of 3300 (unrealistically low by far, but it was a start). Bagged me a degree. That's all that matters. :smt046

• Like 1

On 1/4/2017 at 3:17 AM, MacKenzie said:

Yes, it does but it could rotate and end up sideways so just want to keep it vertical.

I used the smoker today to improve some store bought no salt nuts, added some spices and smoked them for about 30 mins.

Smoking Nuts.jpg

Spiced and Smoked Nuts.jpg

Right after that I went to see if I could find some SS pipe strapping but no luck so settled on copper. Wrapped it around the smoker, fastened it with a bolt and hooked the double straps on the KK handle. It is easy to take off no nuts to take off, nothing. It is a slip on and slip off. No more rotating of the smoker for me.

Fix.jpg

• Like 1