FotonDrv

Cold Smoker w/Pump

3 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Correction, I know you can't tell from my name but I am a woman. :):)

OOPS!!!  :oops:  Is your Forum name a first or last name, or just something made up?  Named after a river in Oregon??!!?? :-)  My Forum name is an intentional misspelling the speed of light travel, something that seems to be my life in retrospect.

OOPS!!!  :oops:  Is your Forum name a first or last name, or just something made up?  Named after a river in Oregon??!!?? :-)  My Forum name is an intentional misspelling the speed of light travel, something that seems to be my life in retrospect.

It is my mother's maiden name and my grandmother's married name, the two best cooks I knew. However it is use as a first name by many folks so it was a win win .
  • Like 2

I finally waded through all the different Posts regarding the Cold Smoker, its installation and its usage.  It was not all in one concise Post somewhere, like in the "details" description of the Cold Smoker in the advertising web page nor was it anywhere else.

Like the smoke adjustment with the SS air tube AND the adjustable pump.

Like fitting the bushing into the Guru Port, which is pretty self explanatory, but what was not was how far to shove the smoke tube into the KK firebox.  Found it all eventually.

In another Post there was reference to NOT using the Cold Smoker when the KK was running with something cooking on the grill but to only use it for actual Cold Smoking.  Dennis does not seem to say that anywhere in the literature.  Would love clarification since I think the SS Smoke Tube would handle the heat below the Char Basket.

Question, do people take the Smoke Tube out to clean the Cold Smoker or just brush/spray around it?

4 minutes ago, FotonDrv said:

Jeff, you did I believe.

What was I not understanding?

I thought your question was regarding whether the smoker could be left in even when not in use. It can be used at any temp, but when not in use I remove it and reinsert the guru plug. 

Edited by HalfSmoke

I haven't used it yet in parallel with an actual hot cook, but it seems like you're going to have to re-adjust your top vent settings for whatever temperature you want for the cook, as you're introducing a lot more air in the firebox - whether the pump is running or not. Hence, I'd recommend removing it from the KK if you're not actually using it for smoking. 

As far as cleaning goes, I don't intend to clean the inside. Just wipe off the outside so it stays nice and shiny and dump the ashes out the bottom. If you keep the flow tube upside down (opening facing down), it shouldn't get clogged up. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tony b said:

I haven't used it yet in parallel with an actual hot cook, but it seems like you're going to have to re-adjust your top vent settings for whatever temperature you want for the cook, as you're introducing a lot more air in the firebox - whether the pump is running or not. Hence, I'd recommend removing it from the KK if you're not actually using it for smoking. 

As far as cleaning goes, I don't intend to clean the inside. Just wipe off the outside so it stays nice and shiny and dump the ashes out the bottom. If you keep the flow tube upside down (opening facing down), it shouldn't get clogged up. Time will tell. 

In hot smoking I found I could keep the top vent setting the same and close the bottom vents, controlling the temp with only the flow of the cold smoker. This works for temps in the 225-275 range by varying pump speed. Fluid dynamics, baby!

• Like 1