FotonDrv

Cold Smoker w/Pump

On 2/5/2017 at 10:55 PM, DennisLinkletter said:

If you were to do it again.. would you use such a fine mesh?   I'm thinking it's going to gunk up quickly. I guess it's best if it can be slid in and out for cleaning.. Thanks for the idea.  I don't have any chips here and chunks of course don't blow around.

Follow up...

Here's what it looks like after two long smokes. Still clear, although I think I could take it down to a #6 mesh without issue.

IMG_2093.jpg

And the inside of the tube. Still clear. That bump is just the screen. No blockages.

IMG_2094.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/21/2017 at 3:44 AM, HalfSmoke said:

Follow up...

Here's what it looks like after two long smokes. Still clear, although I think I could take it down to a #6 mesh without issue.

IMG_2093.jpg

And the inside of the tube. Still clear. That bump is just the screen. No blockages.

IMG_2094.jpg

I'm guessing that would clog more quickly with certain woods and might need an overnight soapy hot water soak to clean. Not the end of the world. I think the larger mesh still makes sense as anything small enough to get sucked thru this will probably just end up on the inside floor of the grill in the ash.

Im very new to this type of attachment.  I always had trouble smoking things on my green egg, they would end up with a smoke taste that would almost make your mouth numb.  This particular Accessory does not have any instructions and i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.   Im hoping to smoke a brisket soon. I have a 23" Ultimate, the cold smoker, a BBQ guru.   Any ideas how to get this thing running?

23 minutes ago, Goldengun7 said:

Im very new to this type of attachment.  I always had trouble smoking things on my green egg, they would end up with a smoke taste that would almost make your mouth numb.  This particular Accessory does not have any instructions and i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.   Im hoping to smoke a brisket soon. I have a 23" Ultimate, the cold smoker, a BBQ guru.   Any ideas how to get this thing running?

Your challenge will be that you can't use the cold smoker and the Guru at the same time - they use the same port at the bottom of the KK.

Do you have one of the cast iron dutch oven smoker pots? Will give you "clean" smoke and you can use the Guru at the same time. 

Or, if you're comfortable with temperature control and can skip using the Guru, you can use the cold smoker instead of the DO smoker pot. Do you have the air pump and tubing for the cold smoker? is the smoker assembled? Make sure that the airflow tube inside the smoker has the opening facing down, so it doesn't clog. Just plug it into the port on the KK, fill it with small wood chips/pellets to just above the air tube, drop in a lit piece of charcoal to get the chips going, then fill the rest of the tube with chips/pellets, put on the cap, then turn on the air pump. You should be in business.

hi, I don't post often, but I read your stuff. I use my cold smoker for smoking, cooking at temp below 290F. I don t have to open the KK to add chunks, so no heat loss.Everything stays closed, until I check the meat.

I love it because I have control of the amount of smoke that goes in the KK. Never too much smoke taste. I close the bottom vent like with the guru, but play with the fan of the pump to prevent overheating. Usually with the lower vent closed, around  50% on the pump dial is great for me. If I m done with smoking, pull it out, put the guru plug in and crack open the lower vent.

I use coffee wood, but also mini splits of numerous fruit wood that are easy to get in Florida. The mini may impair the airflow so I keep an eye on the amount of smoke coming out. I light the mini split with my torch, then flip it 180° inside the cold smoker and start the pump. Havent had any problems with that.

I consider the cold smoker a great addition I made to the KK. For a high temp cook, I havent used it, because chunks are easier.

• Like 2