Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Komodo Kamado

Register now to gain access to all of our features, ask queries, discuss and lot's more!

Click here to Register!

FotonDrv

Cold Smoker w/Pump

103 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2017 at 5:01 AM, ckreef said:

I'm probably the only one who doesn't like the Coco char. I don't like how it gets really brittle after being heated up. Of course this might have to do with my grilling habits which is mostly md to high temp. 

I absolutely loved the coffee char. Just a bit pricey for me and I don't have the cash for a pallet anyway. 

The CoCo char is wasted at high temps because the volatile material in lump charcoal starts to burn off at about 450º.. that's what the flames at those higher temps are.   I use the coco char at low and slow temps and it holds together well.

2 people like this

On 1/11/2017 at 2:37 PM, tony b said:

As far as cleaning goes, I don't intend to clean the inside. Just wipe off the outside so it stays nice and shiny and dump the ashes out the bottom. If you keep the flow tube upside down (opening facing down), it shouldn't get clogged up. Time will tell. 

I've found that when using chips, which is usually the case for me, even with the opening down it tends to suck a small chip or two into the flow tube during longer smokes. I can usually tell when this is the case because the Smoke density drops. When this happens I take a metal skewer and poke it down the length of the tube to dislodge the offending chip. I remove the smoke tube after use and do the same to clean it out after pretty much every use. 

I can see that happening for sure. I was mainly talking about using a brush or something to scrub the main tube on the inside. Unless you are worried about creasote build up that might lead to bitter smoke, I don't see it being worth the effort.