Garvinque

Hello from Troy New York, not KK owner yet!

17 minutes ago, Shuley said:

I know it's not recommended but I use my deflector as a pizza stone. I never use it as a deflector. And it works better as a pizza stone than my actual pizza stone. I also use a piece of parchment under my pizza as well.

I was reading that most don't use their deflector, they either use the drip pan or foil or both. Could save me some money for more coco char! Thanks'

Garvin

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Garvinque said:

I was reading that most don't use their deflector, they either use the drip pan or foil or both. Could save me some money for more coco char! Thanks'

Garvin

Deflector should come standard so it's not going to cost you or save you either way. 

Would you consider using the deflector as a baking stone! Good idea or not?

I know some do. Dennis will tell you (correct if I'm wrong, Dennis) that the deflector is fine for thin crust pizzas, but the stone is optimized for breads and thicker crusts. I do breads and found its ideal for that -- even browning top and bottom -- and great for pizzas too.

I don't want to come off as the bigger is better club guy but let me just be the first one to recommend the 23".  Or if they have a discounted 22 you like that one.  

I really like the stand alone units.  I like them because you don't need a stand.  If you have a setup table then sure this is non issue.  

My favourite thing with a KK is the fire to grate distance.  It will be less on the 19" I believe.  I love the I can grill without flare ups, smoke without a deflector and the overall look of a one piece unit looks awesome opposed to using a stand.  

I understand the reasoning behind the 19", but that 23 is really the flagship.  It has the nicest lines in design.  I think it's a good size and if you only want one cooker get a bit larger. 

Just an option.  Any KK you buy you will love.  Don't use the baking stone as a deflector. Why get that all greasy and messed up.  It's for baking keep it separate 

I do prefer the TT models also. I'm not fond of the look with the legs and they wouldn't work good for my grilling area. I would love to complete a Trifecta with the new 22" TT but I fear Mrs skreef would skin me alive. (but I have planted that seed in her brain - I just need to let it grow for awhile) 

Stand alone or Table Top - it's really just personal preference. 

Also note: the 19" has an oblong lump basket. The divider divides it left and right and can't be divided front to back. 

5 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

Here's one of the best lists of KK accessories on this forum. I studied this one quite a bit when I was looking at my first purchase. @Syzygies is the creator of the smoke pot and the steam oven technique. 

7 hours ago, bosco said:

I don't want to come off as the bigger is better club guy but let me just be the first one to recommend the 23".  Or if they have a discounted 22 you like that one.  

I really like the stand alone units.  I like them because you don't need a stand.  If you have a setup table then sure this is non issue.  

My favourite thing with a KK is the fire to grate distance.  It will be less on the 19" I believe.  I love the I can grill without flare ups, smoke without a deflector and the overall look of a one piece unit looks awesome opposed to using a stand.  

I understand the reasoning behind the 19", but that 23 is really the flagship.  It has the nicest lines in design.  I think it's a good size and if you only want one cooker get a bit larger. 

Just an option.  Any KK you buy you will love.  Don't use the baking stone as a deflector. Why get that all greasy and messed up.  It's for baking keep it separate 

8 hours ago, ckreef said:

Deflector should come standard so it's not going to cost you or save you either way. 

You guys rock and I really appreciate your help and knowledge with these fine cookers of meat, as well as others who have commented! Bosco I looked at the 22 and if there still available when I'm ready to buy will have to consider the black one that's the only other color besides the green one  I would get. Again thanks' to you three for the knowledge!!

Garvin

• Like 2

You guys rock and I really appreciate your help and knowledge with these fine cookers of meat, as well as others who have commented! Bosco I looked at the 22 and if there still available when I'm ready to buy will have to consider the black one that's the only other color besides the green one  I would get. Again thanks' to you three for the knowledge!!

Garvin

I agree. Black is awesome ;).

I would also look at the grate to firebox difference. Mine has me so spoiled I get really mad whenever I heat up my Akorn for sides. Haha.

I will also say, I have never even seen one person unsatisfied with their purchase. While I haven't owned mine for that long, I read back though this forum for years and years worth of postings. I encourage you to do the same.
  • Like 1

I am getting old because as I was watching football I was also doing the wash and had my phone with me because I just was speaking with a friend about the game, well to make matters short I drop my phone in the wash and didn't realize it until I went to switch to the dryer. Thank goodness I have insurance on the phone but I will not see a new one until next Friday at earliest, starting to think a stand alone KK might be better-lol

Old man Garvin

The lack pebble was one of my favourites however I went with my initial love the harvest gold pebble. 

That being said ... if I had to do it all over again that colbolt blue speaks to me now like crazy.  

Well... and the speckled black glass as well

i think there really isn't any that I wouldn't be stoked about owning 

• Like 2