Garvinque

Hello from Troy New York, not KK owner yet!

I started out cooking on my father's BGE that he purchased in Japan and had it shipped back in 1959 or 1960.  After the military and college I purchased a place to build a home of my own AND purchased a Kamado because I missed it so much.  It was what was sold as a "California Kamado" with a glazed exterior so the maintenance was easier.  It was a 21" as I recall.  I had it for 20 years and when we moved it stayed; I missed it and tried to duplicate with a masonry firebox and masonry surround for it with bottom draft but I could not duplicated the dome so I got a Weber dome.  It just was not the same cooking experience AND the grill was an 18" diameter cooking area.  I always was fighting the heat zones so fast forward to today and I have a BB32 and love its cooking area.

I can move the food to the area of the grill that is the hottest or coldest.  I can adjust the firebox size for whatever it is I plan on cooking.  There is plenty of distance between the fire and the grill (s) so you can sear or smoke, your choice.  The roti baskets are just a plus as are the great cooking stone.  I know in the future I will probably get the TT16 so 2 different cooks can be going at the same time.

As a recommendation for 1 (one) KK the 23 would be a real great cooker if you only want to own 1.  Black Pebble would show less soot if black fits into your architectural theme.

Happy cooking!

fullsizeoutput_122.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_900.jpeg

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

Ha!  Actually it was the first thing I did, look under the rear wheels and you will see wedges.  When I built the patio, which is 8ft off the ground at the highest point, I planned for a drainage slope so water will not sit on it in a pool and freeze into a skating rink.

That is a good tip though for anyone putting a KK onto any sloped surface, they roll very nicely.

Hey Garvinque...................Welcome!!!!    Just 2 hours down the pike in Syracuse is a 19" TT KK that you can take a look at.  Let me know your favorite protein, I'll pick it up.  We  will fire it up and you can try it out to see what you think.  Also have most of the accessories that you are thinking about.  

Love the look of my 19" TT.  Cooked 4 -  8lb Boston Butts on it with no problem.  I cook direct all the time with little flair up....no problem with the distance to the fire box/coals.   

Offer stands anytime!!!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Hey Garvinque...................Welcome!!!!    Just 2 hours down the pike in Syracuse is a 19" TT KK that you can take a look at.  Let me know your favorite protein, I'll pick it up.  We  will fire it up and you can try it out to see what you think.  Also have most of the accessories that you are thinking about.  

Love the look of my 19" TT.  Cooked 4 -  8lb Boston Butts on it with no problem.  I cook direct all the time with little flair up....no problem with the distance to the fire box/coals.   

Offer stands anytime!!!!

Didn't see this before I sent the PM!

31 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

No PM received???   50* F on Thursday.............perfect weather for a cookout :-D 

That's weird, so I was asking to see photos of your unpacking of Mac if you have a link!? Thursday so tempting:) The company I work for does ACA enrollments and we are going a new two week training with the possible changes that maybe coming down the road. I'm not supposed to be on this site while I at work but can't help myself plus I can do two things at one time-lol but once everything slows down would love to take you up on the offer. I haven't been to Syracuse since I was a small boy that would seriously be good fun.

Garvin

Edited by Garvinque

My unpacking only showed me moving the KK from work and onto my mobile cart.

skreef has an excellent unpacking thread HERE IT IS.

You are welcome to visit anytime that fits your schedule.  It would be nice if you could see it in person before you hit the order button.  I have seen Bosco's 23" & 32" KK, so I can give you my impressions of those and how they compare to the 19".

• Like 1

Still on track for my order for middle of May and I am leaning towards a 19tt but now not sure about the color, still love that green glass but wouldn't mind a black pebble or see if Dennis has a black and green pebble combo. If I went the custom pebble way,  I would ask for mostly black with green mixed in.

Garvin

• Like 1

I'm sounding like a broken record.................You need to make the short drive to Syracuse................... so you can touch, feel, fire up & cook something on a 19TT !!!!!!!!!!!!   

Of course you will end up getting the Terra Cotta Cream Tiles after you see them in person  :-D