Shuley

The following is why I love my husband so much.

On 1/7/2017 at 11:41 PM, Shuley said:

Me (upon finding that Lowe's was selling a kind of charcoal that I like at 50% off): I'm going to get a trunk full.

Hubby: let's all go and I will fold down all the seats in my car and see how many we can fit in both cars.

Answer:28 boxes d72a9126a5e6d3091848594bed49b947.jpg

I bought every box our Lowe's store had also.  Love that lump!!!!! 

Hurray, the Naked Whiz site is back up and running!! :smt041

Interesting rating - when it comes to actual burning, this charcoal rates as one of the best ever tested. Now, for the bad news, in the 8 boxes that they sampled, the size and weight distribution was quite broad. Most interesting is that the charcoal is measured by volume on the box, not by weight. Whiz found that it was theoretically impossible for that size box to contain the stated volume (cubic feet) of charcoal.

Here's the link to the full review.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag113.htm

Would love to hear from those of you who bought lots of boxes to provide feedback on it - both on how well it burns and on what you actually get in the box for size of pieces and wastage (dust and very small bits).

7 hours ago, Jon B. said:

One thing I found out afterwards is that in very fine print on the bottom of the box it says "Made in Russia".  USDA Organic lump made in Russia????????   WTH?

It might be commie lump but it burns nice!!!!!!!

lol I noticed this tonight, too. An unexpected source.

15 hours ago, tony b said:

Interesting rating - when it comes to actual burning, this charcoal rates as one of the best ever tested. Now, for the bad news, in the 8 boxes that they sampled, the size and weight distribution was quite broad. Most interesting is that the charcoal is measured by volume on the box, not by weight. Whiz found that it was theoretically impossible for that size box to contain the stated volume (cubic feet) of charcoal.

Would love to hear from those of you who bought lots of boxes to provide feedback on it - both on how well it burns and on what you actually get in the box for size of pieces and wastage (dust and very small bits).

I bought my first box of this lump on a whim,....just to try it.  Could not imagine how they would sell any at $20 + per box........but at $11 per box it was worth a try to see if it was any good.  

I was so impressed after the the first cook, I went back and bought 7 more boxes.

I have opened two boxes (in different locations & different grills) and have burned thru about half of each box.  

The first thing I noticed was the consistent size of the lump.  Nice fist sized pieces.  No small or large hunks.  Both boxes I opened have been the same.  Not at the bottom yet, but no dust when I poured the lump directly from the box.

I was also impressed at how easily it lights using the Mapp torch and very little sparks.   I have a small wire lump basket in the KK  and after a two hour cook at 250*F plus a 500* sear....it was crazy how little ash there was on the remaining lump when I removed the basket to shake the ash off.  The remaining lump almost looked like it was never lit.  It also rocketed from 250* to 500* for the sear. 

On another BBQ site, a member said that they noticed this lump had a very clean burn, as his wife does not like smokey tasting food.  I have always used smoking wood for my cooks, so can't verify that.

I can only compare it to two or three local brands but so far.................... it and Coffee Char are the best I have used. 

Is it worth $20 a box.....No!  Even marked down at $10.91 a box it is expensive but I liked it enough to go back and buy more.    

I think I read that another company is marketing the same product under a different name and it is Hogsfan/Baby Back Maniac's go to lump also (don't quote me on that statement). 

Worth a try if you can get a discounted box. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tony b said:

I'll check our Lowes here, but I don't recall seeing it there before, but I don't generally shop there for charcoal. I go to a different big box hardware store (Menards) to get my Royal Oak. Cheapest spot in town and they carry it year round. 

Check online before you go - it looks like the closest match it finds is Dubuque or Davenport.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-2039-04-cu-in-Lump-Charcoal/999979266

Edited by cschaaf

5 hours ago, tony b said:

they carry it year round

There's another thing I like about this group of people. We cook outdoors all year long...no fair weather KKer's here. Not much better than fresh crab, a grilled rib steak so rare it's on the endangered species list, and sides in front of the fire while watching the lousy weather outside.

• Like 2

I have relatively little charcoal experience. I started with lazarri (mesquite). Then switched to royal oak. Of course I got to try coco char and coffee char when I got my kk. I really liked the coffee char. Anyway, I thought royal oak was alright and it's a decent price. Then it just seemed I was getting more and more and larger and larger pieces of cement. Which made me kind of irritated since I am paying per pound and I feel like they were just trying to up the weight. I saw black diamond on clearance at target and I had a clear preference for that. Unfortunately I only bought two boxes and when I figured out I liked it I went back for more. They were out. When I saw charbroils brand it looked similar and it really is similar. Someone said on here they are the same, and that is probably the case. The few boxes I had of black diamond had more dust than the boxes of charbroil. But still way less than RO. Anyway, overall I find that it does not spark at all and leaves less ash. It takes me slightly longer to light, but when it gets going, it spreads faster and seemed to climb temperature faster. For low and slows it lasts much longer. I'm not sure why because that doesn't seem to make sense since it seems lighter than RO. Overall I like it. And around 10 bucks a box I would definitely prefer it to RO. Still not as good as coffee char, but I'm not a rich lady.
  • Like 3

There's another thing I like about this group of people. We cook outdoors all year long...no fair weather KKer's here. Not much better than fresh crab, a grilled rib steak so rare it's on the endangered species list, and sides in front of the fire while watching the lousy weather outside.

There is no such thing as grilling season in my eyes
  • Like 2