Shuley

The following is why I love my husband so much.

20 hours ago, cschaaf said:

Check online before you go - it looks like the closest match it finds is Dubuque or Davenport.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-2039-04-cu-in-Lump-Charcoal/999979266

Unfortunately, both of those locales are about an hour away from me. Would have to REALLY want this charcoal to drive that far. But thanks for looking it up, cschaaf!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2017 at 11:41 PM, Shuley said:

Me (upon finding that Lowe's was selling a kind of charcoal that I like at 50% off): I'm going to get a trunk full.

Hubby: let's all go and I will fold down all the seats in my car and see how many we can fit in both cars.

Answer:28 boxes d72a9126a5e6d3091848594bed49b947.jpg

Shuley,

You motivated me to look for more of our favorite lump and you brought me good luck!!!!!!!

I went on-line and searched all of our local Lowe's stores for the Char-Broil Center Cut Lump Charcoal.   I found one store that showed inventory but didn't say how much.  On the way home from work yesterday, i stopped at that store.  I found that they had 29 boxes in stock, marked "clearance" for $10.99 per box.

As I was looking at the pallet, the department manager walked by and asked me if I needed any help.  I thought of your purchase, pointed at the boxes and asked him if he wanted to get rid of all of it.  

He smiled and said "How about $5.00 per box?".      Holy Crap.........I couldn't get the words out fast enough........"It's a deal!!!!!!"   Good thing I was driving my big van.  :-D

Lump2.jpeg

I finished my first box the other day.  I was totally surprised that there were no fines and very little dust in the bottom of the bag.  Never had that happen before.  

I have to say again.....so far I am totally impressed with this Russian commie lump.  

tony b.........................I'll save a box for you to try.  I'll send one back to Cedar Rapids with my sister.

Now I have to figure out where I'm going to store this haul.  Redhead Sue's garage is already full of toys and grills.  She is going to kill me when she finds out what I did  :smt021  

Too much fun!!!   Thanks again Shuley for the motivation,   :smt023

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Shuley,

You motivated me to look for more of our favorite lump and you brought me good luck!!!!!!!

I went on-line and searched all of our local Lowe's stores for the Char-Broil Center Cut Lump Charcoal.   I found one store that showed inventory but didn't say how much.  On the way home from work yesterday, i stopped at that store.  I found that they had 29 boxes in stock, marked "clearance" for $10.99 per box.

As I was looking at the pallet, the department manager walked by and asked me if I needed any help.  I thought of your purchase, pointed at the boxes and asked him if he wanted to get rid of all of it.  

He smiled and said "How about $5.00 per box?".      Holy Crap.........I couldn't get the words out fast enough........"It's a deal!!!!!!"   Good thing I was driving my big van.  :-D

Lump2.jpeg

I finished my first box the other day.  I was totally surprised that there were no fines and very little dust in the bottom of the bag.  Never had that happen before.  

I have to say again.....so far I am totally impressed with this Russian commie lump.  

tony b.........................I'll save a box for you to try.  I'll send one back to Cedar Rapids with my sister.

Now I have to figure out where I'm going to store this haul.  Redhead Sue's garage is already full of toys and grills.  She is going to kill me when she finds out what I did  :smt021  

Dang, what a great haul.

I think if you have guests over, instead of telling them their food was roasted over Russian commie lump, you should instead say it was kissed by the smoke of a Siberian wildfire. It's all in the delivery...:smt046

• Like 3

Target's summer BBQ clearance sale got three boxes of the Black Diamond brand which I found out is the same as Char-broil brand for 11.99 a box. I love it and use it only for low and slow cooks down to one box left. Need to check my local Lowe's for the Char-broil brand to score some, Kudos to your husband for supporting your hobby!!

Garvin

Shuley,
Lump2.jpeg

$5!!!!!!!!!! Dang, wish I had run into a manager like that!!!!
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jon B. said:

AWESOME! Maybe she can "mule" other stuff back and forth for us - LOL!! 

btw - had a nice chat with your son's GF at Lion Bridge last weekend. 

• Like 1

I opened a box of this over the weekend. Pretty good stuff. 

I'd say it is medium sized chunks and medium density.

I lit in one spot and ran at about 190 (dome) for about 2 hours. Then it creeped up to about 210 for the last 45 minutes or so of my cook.

After that, I wanted to burn off the grates so I pulled the bottom door and spun the top vent a few turns and the dome went to 700 in about 4 minutes.

The only 'issue' I had was that I found it difficult to pour out of the box into the grill. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cschaaf said:

The only 'issue' I had was that I found it difficult to pour out of the box into the grill. 

I have a large rubber tub next to the grill for charcoal. I just empty the bags/boxes/etc. in there and have a big aluminum scoop to shovel it into the basket. Other benefit is that the fines make their way to the bottom of the tub and when I get enough accumulated, I just dump it out in the woods out back. 

• Like 1

I hear ya, Aussie. I fill the scoop with my hands first inside the tub, then transport to the grill. I have small hands and load twice as much charcoal per trip with the scoop. I have a dedicated brush on my kitchen sink for cleaning my hands afterwards, as I get a lot of charcoal dust under my fingernails. 

• Like 2