Steve M

Beef stew and buttermilk biscuits on the kk

I had to work the weekend while we were under blizzard conditions and off today. I thought it would be a good time to enjoy the snow and give the kk a chance to warm up. If you don't mind the back story on this cook, it is a recipe that I tried to recreate from something my grandfather used to make. When I was a kid, he used to make a really simple beef stew in his fireplace. I have no idea exactly what he did but in my mind at least, it tastes exactly the same and it is delicious. It is the most simple thing I have ever made. He used to raise black angus cattle for his own use and our family. my recipe uses a black angus boneless beef center cut chuck roast, beef broth, onions, 2 cloves of garlic and salt and pepper to taste. I first cut the beef roast into small chunks and add salt and pepper and brown them in my dutch oven. then I take them out and cook the onions followed by the garlic in the leftover beef juices. Throw the beef back in, add beef broth to cover everything and put it in the oven at 325 for about 3 hours or so. He used to put it in his fireplace on a arm that swung over the fire logs. Since I was cooking in the kk, I decided to leave the top off for the first hour to see what the coffee char would add. then I covered everything and went another 2+ hours.

The temp outside was around 25 degrees F when I started.

IMG_4545.JPG

It was surprisingly fast to get the kk up to 325 and heat soaked.

On goes the beef stew.

IMG_5832.JPG

Happily cruising along now.

IMG_3084.JPG

When the stew was done, I took it inside. I take the extra step here to remove the beef chunks, throw the liquid in the vitamix and blend it so I don't have any chunks of onion or garlic. maybe unnecessary but I couldn't remember ever seeing onions in my grandfathers beef stew. 

Now it is time to throw on the buttermilk biscuits. I bumped the grill up to about 450 and added the upper rack. After cutting them out and putting on a greased pan, I brushed some heavy cream on top and added pepper. I think this was a Bobby Flay recipe that I tucked away. 

IMG_3608.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

About 15 minutes later

IMG_5323.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

I usually cut a biscuit in half and put it in a bowl, cover with broth and add some beef chunks. They are seriously tender and flavorful. One of my favorite winter meals. Now if I could just perfect my grandmothers corn bread....

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

What a fun day of cooking and such a great reward at the end of the day, beautiful. :)  :smt023 :smt023

There is something about firing up the kk with snow on the ground that adds the extra fun. I think it help explain how you keep turning out those fantastic dishes (along with your natural talent of course) :)