golfpro2301

Hammered KK

Hello everyone. First post om this forum. Usually float around the bbq brethren as I am a competition cook but ran into an unusual experience. Boss had a friend that had a 23" KK sitting in the garage that was beat up pretty bad with a hammer. I got pictures of it and went to see it in person and it is pretty bad but figured I would take a chance and try to salvage it. Called Dennis and he said I can use Rutland refractory cement in the large gauges. There are probably 400-500 tiles that need to be replaced as well as thermometer and latch. The latch still locks but bent all to hell. Only thing missing is the BBQ Guru knob. Some one on the brethren site mentioned a member on here fixed a broken latch one time. Anyone know who it was and how they did it. Also, what would be easiest way to remove tiles. A lot of them are not bunched together but individual ones in between nice ones. I was thinking of using a dremel with either a cutting wheel or a grout removal tool. Also do you think the tile spacers you get at lowes would be correct width for these? All help would be GREATLY appreciated as I try to rebuild this thing to like new condition. Dennis has been a tremendous help. I know it will take many hours but figured I would give it a shot. Below are some pictures. Color is metallic bronze. IMG_55181.jpgIMG_55171.jpgIMG9555161.jpg

Wow someone chucked a wobbly looks like the latch is just bent could probably just replace it .whilst it's not good to see a KK being treated like that it's good to know it will stand up to a beating lol. I'm pretty sure though that if I seen someone do that to mine they would not be standing. Amazing. looking forward to your first cook

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1

"Can I use the rear spring and front handle a tie down points? "

I would recommend that you not use the handle and rear spring as tie down points for transportation.

Creating a repeatable transport mode for the porch trailer is a challenge.

Maybe chock the wheels and secure it in a corner where you can pad the two sides against the trailer and use a strap across the front.

That is truly a shame what was done to that cooker.

Can I use the brackets that the shelves are attached to? Problem is on the porch of my trailer I will not be able to secure against a wall as all tie down points are on floor so straps would slide down to the feet. I wish I could get it inside the trailer as I could secure it against a wall. Could I wrap it up in a bunch of moving blankets and lay it down? How hard would it be for two guys to lay it down and lift it back up?