golfpro2301

Hammered KK

Welcome. I posted on the other board about heating up the grill to soften the grout. I think that might work out and you'd be less likely to damage any other tiles than you would be with a dremel.

And, by the way, I am the proud owner of the KK that had the bent latch that ckreef fixed.

Yes that grate has not been used. All of the accessories are on the inside of the grill. There is another grate on the inside that has not been used. Also there is a large grate that has the foldable sides as well as a pizza stone and heat deflector. One of the shelves looks new and the other faded by the sun. in regards to the damage it was done with a hammer but as I said on the brethren site the man deserved every bit of it for what he did. Personally he should have been tied up and stoned. I called Dennis and left a voicemail in regards to parts and removing tiles. How soft does the grout get? Also in the pictures you will see what looks to be a black mat like substance under the tiles is that the grout or a layer. Wondering if I need to remove that to get the tiles to lay level with one another. I know Bosco asked but yes I will be going into detail on this thread for the whole rebuild. I will make sure I include plenty of pictures. CK & CS if you could direct me to how you fixed the latch that would be great. If no post could you send me a message. I was just going to heat with a torch then slowly bend back. Wondering if I have to do it while it is fully latched so it wont mess up any alignment. Still trying to figure out how to strap this into my trailer

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, golfpro2301 said:

Also in the pictures you will see what looks to be a black mat like substance under the tiles is that the grout or a layer. Wondering if I need to remove that to get the tiles to lay level with one another.

Somebody correct me but that appears to be the "Jacket" to which the tiles are affixed.  I would be very afraid to mess with that layer.

We'll be living this restore with you, @golfpro2301

Yes, that is a layer of the grout - you'll hear it called the 'jacket'. It's kind of like the shampoo/body wash combo - the grout performs the functions of both grout and mastic. ;)

In my experience, which is admittedly limited compared to a lot here, the grout gets soft enough that I think you could pop the tiles off of it with a small screwdriver. As I said before, don't just take my word for it, Dennis is the ultimate expert. ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FotonDrv said:

Somebody correct me but that appears to be the "Jacket" to which the tiles are affixed.  I would be very afraid to mess with that layer.

I recently messed with my grout jacket and I don't think it's a huge deal... but I did so under Dennis' direction. ;)

Ok so I just picked it up. The porch door to my trailer was a 1/2" wider than the grill so I was able to get it inside and secure it against a wall. Along with the Rack on the side of the grill in the pick there were wo other racks as well as two pizza stones. 1 large baking stone which I believe came with the grill. And a wood chip box that I will never use. The only part missing is the Plug for the bbq guru. One quick question the lid raises very easily but does not stay up. Are they supposed to stay up when opened all the way? I talked with Dennis today and he was extremely helpful with the process I am about to go thru to get it back to normal.  I plan on starting the rebuild Thurs when I am off work. I plan on first counting all the broken tiles so I can give Dennis an accurate number for replacements. I am going to remove all broken tiles and prep surface under neath for new when they arrive. The rutland refractory cement came in the mail today so I will fill in all deep cuts and level them to the cotour of the lid.

The one piece of information I haven't included so far was the price I paid for it. I wanted to wait until I actually had it in my possession. I paid $250 for everything. 

• Like 2

One important thing I forgot. I left it in my trailer as I dont know where I am going to store it for the rebuild. My parents live close and that is where I store most of my competition stuff as they have a driveway and garage. My wife and I live in a small townhome. I would like to get it over here but I run into 2 challenges about 8 inches tall. I have a curb next to the parking area it needs to go over and there is no handicap ramp. Also there is a raised lip going into the house. My questions is Can I lean this back so it is on two legs and then push it up over the curb and same into the house. Will two legs support the weight? Also where is the best place to lift on the cooker? I am assuming the handle is a no-no. 

Can you make a ramp out of plywood? I'm thinking I wouldn't want all the weight on two legs. As far as a place to lift from the pics shows they ship with rope around the feet next to the body. Slip 2"x4" through the ropes and lift. You're going to need some help.