golfpro2301

Hammered KK

@golfpro2301 here is step by step instructions on how to adjust the spring tension on your KK. The instructions are done on my 16" but all KK's are built and work the same although the bolt sizes will be a little different. You can adjust your dome all the way to full auto opening if you like. I have both my KK's adjusted so they are one finger opening and closing and the dome will stay in any position if I let go. This is a quick 5 minute procedure. 

http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/5824-165-spring-adjustment/

BTW - totally awesome once in a lifetime deal. You'll have if fixed up and running like new before you know it. Why can't I find deals like that. 

• Like 2

Incredible deal.  Did you get  along rod shaped like a capital T?  That is the tool Dennis made to remove the back spring cover.  Ckreef a tutorial is bang on and I used it to adjust mine.  

I agree with not going on two wheels as you are talking about 600 plus pounds on that grill.  I like the ramp idea as it is simple and it rolls.  

One suggestion is to maybe hit up staples and get some sheets of this little circle stickers and put one on each broken tile so you no what's to be removed.  There are so many tiles it will be hard to see and keep track. 

I am so looking forward to watching this thread develop.   Time for some more photos to keep us going lol

comgrats and welcome to the best cooker you will ever have 

Thanks CK. I did not get a tool with it. Is it just a long allen wrench?

Bosco thats funny I was thinking the same thing. We use the stickers at my golf course for guests bags and have a lot laying around. I saw them yesterday and thought they would be perfect size for each tile. 

As far as moving over curb I am just going to do the entire build at my parents house then  will build a ramp and bring it to my place. Will probably buy those metal ends you can bolt to 2x8 and just attach 3 or 4 boards together to make it wide enough. I will make sure this is a pic heavy thread detailing everything. I am off work tomorrow and Friday so hoping to get a lot done with the tiles and cleaning up underneath of them to prepare for new. I may try and tackle the latch but waiting to view the broken latch thread before I attempt it. Dennis is going to set me up to view owners area. 

Anyone work with this refractory cement before. If I push it into the deep cuts is it thick enough to stay in there or will it run out? Wondering if I need to lay saran wrap over it and tape it down tight to stay where I want. Dont feel like trying to sand down this stuff if it pours out.

Absolutely Tucker. Where you live? 

Ill be honest I was so excited to get started today that I rarely slept. Sitting around right now drinking some coffee waiting for traffic to die down before I go haul my trailer to my parents place. I honestly have never been so excited to play around with a bbq grill before. I now agree with my wife that I have a problem and I am totally ok with it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, golfpro2301 said:

Absolutely Tucker. Where you live? 

Ill be honest I was so excited to get started today that I rarely slept. Sitting around right now drinking some coffee waiting for traffic to die down before I go haul my trailer to my parents place. I honestly have never been so excited to play around with a bbq grill before. I now agree with my wife that I have a problem and I am totally ok with it.

You and your "problem" are in good company. 

• Like 2

Alright so give you a mid day update and pics. First tightening spring was simple. Now have it where opens by itself. Started removing broken tiles and ran into a problem. Due to repeated hits with hammer almost all tiles on top are loose. So much so that when I was blowing away debris with shop vac it would move the tiles. So below is where I am at right now. Also be aware these broken tiles are VERY sharp as the chunk missing from my finger now will tell you. Of course parents house has no bandaids so some super glue and blue painters tape and I was back at it.

20170112_113316.jpg

20170112_115206.jpg

20170112_115214.jpg

• Like 2

Alright day 1 of KK restore/rebuild is complete. At some points today I wish I would have just bought a brand new one.

Here is how it looked before I started removing stuff.

20170112_105349.jpg

Its hard to tell but there are a boat load of broken tiles on the bottom. Most of the damage is up top as well as most of the broken tiles. I started with clearing out the damaged areas on the lid seen in the pictures I posted earlier. The insulation layers is a soft layer of what looks like a sand and sea shell mixture. I dug around the damage area with a chisel to square everything off and to take the cut all the way down to the cement. you will notice in my first picture above you will notice what looks to be chicken wire. This is where the cement is so you can see how much of an insulation layer there is. Once I cleared out enough area to pour in the refractory cement I noticed that most of the tile up top were loose or had very small cracks in them. Decision was it all had to go. I removed almost 50% of the top tiles and the black material under the tiles. This allowed me to see all damaged areas that needed to be filled in. I then mixed up some cement and filled the cuts. This stuff dried pretty quick. Was rock hard in about 30 min. While it was drying I decided to start working on the bottom. I used what looks like a dentist pick to help remove the tiles. These things are a PIA to remove as when I removed a lot of broken tiles ones there were not broken came off to. I used my dremel with a very fine cutter to cut into the grout on the sides of each tile as there was space there. The top and the bottom I believe the tiles are touching so couldn't really get in these locations. Some areas I managed to get all broken tiles off then on the last tile a large chunk of tiles would fall off. It was at this point the F bombs and every other word came flying out. I decided to move from tile duty to rebuilding the latch. I heated it up and started bending it. Problem was that the part that you open the lid with fell off when bending back to straight. More swear words came out. After calming down I got out my welder and aligned the latch best I could. I tacked it in place on top and bottom. I then spent about 30 minutes with dremel grinding down welds and shaping it to look nice. As you can see it is almost done. I broke all my grinding wheels so I couldnt finish it. Will pick some more up from Home Depot later. After this I went back to removing tiles on the bottom. As of now I believe I have 80% of the broken tiles removed. Tomorrow I plan on removing the remainder of the tiles and finishing up the latch as well as sanding and re staining the side tables. What color stain would go best with Bronze?. After all this is done I will be ready for new tiles which Dennis is working on for me.

20170112_121815.jpg

20170112_123937.jpg

20170112_123942.jpg

20170112_132706.jpg

20170112_135448.jpg

20170112_145535.jpg

20170112_145545.jpg

Lastly this was laying inside on the bottom. Looks to be some sort of ash grate. Anyone tell me where it goes?

20170112_150346.jpg