golfpro2301

Hammered KK

Well today was a hell of a day. Total hours spent in last two days came out to around 16. The cap was the first real problem I ran into . I came up with my own fix that I detail below. If it ends up braking in the future I will make my own mold out of silicone then crack my current top removing the inside piece. I will then put this in the mold along with metal shards and pour in the remaining rutland refractory cement I have left. Bosco sorry I didnt see your post until after I stained them. I dont believe a treatment would have worked as 1 looked brand new and the other looked as if it were sitting in sun for 10 years. I went with a dark red mohagony as I like red and bronze together. As far as the rest goes all of the tiles are now removed. well almost all when I was wiping down outside with damp rag I found 2 that had fine cracks in the but all in all its ready to be re-tiled. I spent another 30 min or so shaping the handle and polishing it up. Still not 100% satisfied. Need to throw in a few pop welds in some gaps and grind away at it again but as of now it will pass. 

Cap Fix - so as you can see in the previous photo above the crack was very small. The refractory cement is quite sandy and doesnt fill small voids. So the fix was to make the crack bigger. Yes I know dumba** idea but I am glad I did. When grinding out the crack I managed to hit part of the metal bracket that sits inside the mold. This led to another idea. I ground away all cement until I could get access to alot of the metal. I then used flat metal bar and tack welded them to the rod in the center. I then tack welded them to the metal frame that sits within the mold. I connected both strips together with small metal rods. I then filled up the crack and the metal brace I made with cement to match the circular cut out in the top. 

20170113_151252.jpg20170113_160533.jpg

20170113_162936.jpg

Looks much better but still not to my standards

20170113_150909.jpg

Is this normal or should it be cleaned somehow

20170113_160627.jpg

I need to get a small brush to go between the boards and do the under side

20170113_130224.jpg20170113_162833.jpg

20170113_130306.jpg20170113_130328.jpg20170113_130324.jpg

Here is how I removed each tile. I used a diamond tip dremel tool (well it had a diamond tip for the first 10 min but after that it was just sharp metal) I then hammered out the center of each tile. I realized that the more broken the tile the easier to remove so the fix for the hammer damage was to cause more hammer damage

20170113_122857.jpg

Added some more cement in areas as I had it already mixed and figured why not

20170113_162826.jpg

20170113_130328.jpg

• Like 1

That latch looks wonderful.  Honestly looks really good.  Did you take some photos of the tile design on the upper dome before you started going so you knew how to put them back on?

this thing is well on its way to an incredible rebuild.  Fantastic work I mean that honestly. 

The inside looks good.  A high heat burn will clean it right up 

Latch looks good. Upper vent,  time will tell. 

As for the inside - that looks normal. I wouldn't want you to see a picture of the inside of my 16". I mainly use it for grilling. Black everywhere. Even high heat doesn't change that at the stage I'm in. It's all good - BBQ pantinia. 

You're going to do a high heat burn in eventually. It'll get as clean as it ever will during that. 

Wow mate, congrats on the restore. You sure had your work cut out for you. Great job on the salvage of a fellow KK grill. You are going to love cooking on it once you have finished the repairs. Keep up with the updates.

As the others said, the inside of the grill looks good.

Love the colour that the teak side tables came up.

Looking forward to seeing the end product.

Your progress looks great -

interesting approach on the top cap -

Regarding the side tables, just sand them then use a good quality teak oil. You can get Watco Teak oil from Home Deport

You don't need to stain them with a color, they are beautiful natural.

I am in the Fruit Cove area west of 13 from Julington Creek Plantation.

Aussie - Parents are used to it by now. I love to have my projects ans my dad enjoys helping when he can as well. I am the baby of 3 and still in my 20's so momma is fine with it.

Tucker - You are close. I live in Bartram Park right next to Julington Creek. I already stained the tables with a dark red mahogany. Personally I like the look of darker wood more. 

Just waiting on tiles, black fabric layer, and grout from Dennis now. He is getting me quote based on how many tiles I need which is around 400-500 on safe side. I counted and the bottom alone is 174. 

• Like 1

Finally had time to go thru most of this forum and read a lot on maintenance. Couple questions is the manual available somewhere to download? As far as burn in goes I am going to do it again as I dont know if it was done correctly with first owner plus I have added new cement and dont know if it needs same procedure. My question is does the odor and vapor come from refractory cement or the grout material? If from cement would it be best for me to do it now with so much exposed and a lot of tiles off allowing to escape easier? Was going to cook some burgers tonight.

Thanks Bosco. I believe Dennis is getting back to me on price for tiles hopefully tomorrow. Looking forward to keep the progress going. You think it is good to cook some burgers in it tonight around 350*?

Also, reading through posts is is customary to name your KK? Looks like it is a right of passage for owners.

36 minutes ago, golfpro2301 said:

Thanks Bosco. I believe Dennis is getting back to me on price for tiles hopefully tomorrow. Looking forward to keep the progress going. You think it is good to cook some burgers in it tonight around 350*?

Also, reading through posts is is customary to name your KK? Looks like it is a right of passage for owners.

Some do. I haven't. Yours is begging for a name. Lazarus!

• Like 1