golfpro2301

Hammered KK

Aussie that would be a cool idea. Maybe down the road I would consider doing that. Got email back from Dennis on tile and grout so should be getting that here in a few weeks. It amazes me that being half way around the world that he responds so quickly even when its 2 or 3AM his time. Can definitely tell he cares not only about his product but the happiness of his customers and no way I could have done this without his help. I am going to purchase the remaining parts from the store on the site. Quick question for those of you with the newer models. I am definitely adding the second gasket as well as the missing BBQ guru plug. I see that there is a piece of stainless steel piece that blocks the ash from getting close to the door. Is this a useful piece? Also, mine has the single damper on the front door. Do you all see a benefit of the dual damper and worth it? Lastly, I thought I had the original KK baking stone but I have 2 small chef ones and one larger one that is about 1.5" thick. Do you all use the stone or the pan for the heat deflector? Wondering if I need to by he pan as well. 

That metal plate also stops to much heat on the front door .mine came with the twin vents I use them both plus I reckon they look cool .I've used the stone once .quickly found out that is not needed because of the distance from the fire to the main grate I just use alfoil on the middle grate

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

I agree here with @Aussie Ora, the dual controls on the bottom vent look cool, i would go for it if it was me, but i like to pimp my KK out where i can. The deflector stones, i dont use one down the bottom of the fire pit anymore, as @DennisLinkletter has mentioned, its an older way of cooking and can create too much heat down in the firebox. So they are not really required in the KK, maybe other komado cookers but not these. I use the double bottom drip pan if required, or like the others just put foil down on the bottom grate. Its easy and quick to do.

I do however have the pizza stone and i suggest that one to use up the top of the grill. That one gets a good work out when i do pizzas.

Mine came with the new ash deflector, so all i can say is to get the new one. I find it keeps a bit of the heat away from the teak knobs down the bottom, so anything to stop them burning or keeping them cooler i think is worth it.

well since you are asking...

and the fact that you got a screaming deal on this unit...

I would say upgrade to the new lower vent.  It is a finesse convenience and I agree that it looks good.  You need the deflector plate on the back and if yours has the rear port door you should have one for that as well.  This will preserve the knobs from burning up as well.

I think I would get the baking stone but would never use it for a deflector.  Like Robert said, you do not need a deflector stone anymore.  The fire to grate distance is far enough that you won't have to worry.  Simply add the lower grate and a piece of foil and then put your food on the main grate and done!  Gone are the days of deflectors in a kamado. 

Consider a double bottom drip pan and perhaps a rotisserie spit rod as well.  Also perhaps a cover to protect those pretty new tiles in the colder months

@bosco i think you've posted before about the gas port having  deflector, but I think the consensus was that the 23 Doesn't have one. I know mine didn't come with one.

@golfpro2301If you want to Do thin crust pizzas, the deflector works great. I don't think many use it as a deflector very often.

If you want to bake bread or thicker crust pizza, the baking stone is better for that.

I might be missing something, but the temperature control on the KK is great. I see no need for the dual controls... But they do look cool!

I don't think any of the above are necessary, depending on how, and what, you cook; I also don't think anyone with any of those items ended up even close to being disappointed that they got them. 

So I ordered: BBQ Guru Plug, Second Gasket, Thermo, Heat & Ash Shield Qty (2) - I am assuming that this will fit both the front and back doors at the bottom. 

Next thing to order in a month or two is Dual draft door and Baking stone (want to see how well the 3 I have work first). Also want to get rotisserie but can only find the basket and spit in the store not the motor. Any idea where I can find this or price of it. Seems like everyone on here likes this accessory and would like to have it as well.

A little update on status. After talking on phone with Dennis I was WAY off on the 300 tile estimate on top. Looks like it is going to be 900-1000 total for top and bottom. I will be laying tile for a while. Should take about a week to get shipped here so should be getting everything in soon. Looking over the install of gasket threads I noticed permatex is mentioned the most. Is there enough in the 3OZ tube I see on Amazon to install the larger gasket or is there another material I should look at?

• Like 2