golfpro2301

Hammered KK

No need for Amazon. Just go to any decent auto parts store. The large size squeeze tube will be enough. Alternatively for a smaller bead get the small squeeze tube but it'll take 2 or 3 of those. 

You don't need a lot of Permatex just a thin film to stick the gasket down. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1

No need for Amazon. Just go to any decent auto parts store. The large size squeeze tube will be enough. Alternatively for a smaller bead get the small squeeze tube but it'll take 2 or 3 of those. 
You don't need a lot of Permatex just a thin film to stick the gasket down. 

Do you have a name we sell it in Oz but there a few different products

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Re: Permatex

Golfpro - I used a 4ounce tube and had a bit left when I put in the new gasket.

Aussie - Permatex is the brand name. It is a high temperature gasket material; there are different models, each with a different temperature rating, just have to look at the label.

The placement of the gasket is such that you don't need the highest temp rating, I think I used 600-700 degree f.

• Like 1

Figured was time for another update. It took a while for the package to clear customs in Indonesia but is not safe here in Jacksonville and going to go get it tomorrow morning before work. Based on the pics Dennis sent it is 1k tiles and a boat load of grout. I have the day off Wed and cancelled the tee time to work on the KK. Anyone know if there is anything special to do in regards to laying this tile? I read a lot of posts about tiles popping off during the burn in but didnt know if it is similar to regular tile and lay the grout down, Install the tile, and wipe off with damp sponge. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, golfpro2301 said:

Figured was time for another update. It took a while for the package to clear customs in Indonesia but is not safe here in Jacksonville and going to go get it tomorrow morning before work. Based on the pics Dennis sent it is 1k tiles and a boat load of grout. I have the day off Wed and cancelled the tee time to work on the KK. Anyone know if there is anything special to do in regards to laying this tile? I read a lot of posts about tiles popping off during the burn in but didnt know if it is similar to regular tile and lay the grout down, Install the tile, and wipe off with damp sponge. 

I think you need to get exact instructions from Dennis on how to lay down the grout. It's a bit different from normal grout. 

• Like 1

Yeah I actually looked into some names and probably going to go with Osiris - god of resurrection. Figured that was a fitting name. Looking forward to tomorrow and getting started on it again. Only down side is I have to take my pit bull I rescued 8 years ago in for surgery. They found 2 cancerous tumors on her so will be thinking about that most of the day but hoping to get a lot done. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the well wishes for the pup. Surgery went well and they removed the 3 tumors. Now just have to wait 5 days for the diagnosis on them. 

I was able to get a lot done today. I decided to start on the bottom as that had the fewest tiles that needed to be replaced and thought that would be the easiest section. I WAS WRONG. Some of the tiles are a little bigger than others so trying to fit them in between existing tiles was a major PIA. After spending a few hours on the bottom I decided to move to the top where everything became much easier. I filled in the areas where there were a few missing then just started lining them up. There is no way I can get it back to exact and tiles evenly spaced and looking like the original but unless you get down close to it you really cant tell. Problem was that even after the grout set some of the tiles were still loose and I loaded them down with grout. Because of this I decided to let it all dry for a day before trying to clean it up. May have to use an sos pad to clean off the tile before filling in the spaces or something that is rough that wont scratch the tile. Also when I started wrapping the tiles around toward the top I had a few areas where there was an empty row between old tile and new tile. The empty row was not big enough for a tile so had to use a dremel and grind down about 1/16" on a few tiles to get them to fit. I am pretty happy with progress. I know it will not look like a KK that is from factory but should be able to get it to a 9/10. Figuring my total cost in all the parts will be around $1200 I am ok with that. Any suggestions on tile clean up feel free to let me know. 

20170308_174431.jpg

20170308_174440.jpg

20170308_174452.jpg

20170308_174508.jpg

• Like 2

Was planning on putting on the rest of the tile today but was in the 30's this morning and with leaving for a cruise tomorrow just didn't have the time. I went over and took a look at it for the first time since putting on the batch of tiles and they are secured very well. Just need to cleanup a lot of the excess insulation. Looking around online I found that a lot of tile guys will use a nylon brush wheel attached to a drill. They use it on glass back splash tiles in the kitchen so figured it wouldn't damage these tiles. Got the email today that the remaining parts shipped so hoping we can get her done and fired up soon. I just put a brisket in the freezer that I had wet aging for 45 days in the fridge. That may be the inaugural cook. 

• Like 2