Pequod

Carnitas

4 hours ago, tony b said:

Oh, Hey-yall Yeah! Love me some carnitas. Definitely trying this one, along with his Pibil version in the banana leaves. 

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/05/cochinita-pibil-yucatan-barbecue-mexican-smoked-pork-recipe.html

I made this and its fabulous!   I love all things banana leaves.   IMO they're mobetta for tamals (taste and ease of making) ... very versatile.

• Like 1

Last steps. Make some tortillas:

IMG_2017.jpg

Char the pork (broiler...next time will be on KK when not freezing rain outside). Then assemble with diced white onion, charred salsa verde (homemade), cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.

IMG_2018.jpg

Outstanding! I've braised carnitas in the past, and never achieved the depth of flavor that I did with sous vide. 

• Like 4

It's the best for the price point - IMHO. There are some others out there that are a bit cheaper. I just ordered this one for my nephew's birthday. Got good reviews on Amazon. Fingers crossed.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6AZ8CL

Had I been on top of my game, I'd have remembered and gotten him the Anova when it was on sale for $99 over the holidays - DUH! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tony b said:

It's the best for the price point - IMHO. There are some others out there that are a bit cheaper. I just ordered this one for my nephew's birthday. Got good reviews on Amazon. Fingers crossed

Thanks for the tip. I haven't done any research yet. I better get busy.