Garvinque

Farmer's Market!

So I told a friend at work about the local Farmer's Market and how I get some special ingredients there that I would not get other places, especially eggs. So yesterday that conversation came up again I asked her if she went yet and she said yes last Saturday, so what do you think and her reply was over priced and didn't think you can feed a family her size by shopping there. She asked why would I pay 4.00 for a dozen eggs and the meat prices were crazy.

Explained again that the farmers market isn't a place to shop for a weeks worth of food, it's a place to get some local and fresh ingredients, hormone free meats etc. And unless you just have it like that going grocery shopping at one makes little sense. I told her outside of me getting chickens for the backyard and in Troy you can have backyard chickens up to 7, that is the only place where free range chicken eggs I would consider buying from. She also stated that paying nine or ten dollars lb for meat was crazy, well I said these local farmers are not your local supermarket where they buy in bulk to give you a some what fair price and she should consider going back to revaluate.

The response to the last part about going back to was met with no and I would tell friends don't even go there, took a couple of deep breathes and said while she had to the right to feel that way about her shopping there it was wrong of her to say that no one she knew should even consider it. Am I wrong to think this way?

Garvin

I use the farmer's market the same way you do, and am also in the Polyface Farm buying club. Joel Salatin and crew are often so good as to write the name of the critter we're eating on the label. Makes us feel one with nature.

That said, I have absolutely zero expectations that others should shop, cook, eat, or believe or do anything else that I do. If they ask, I answer. 

• Like 1

The sad reality is that high quality ingredients and fresh food is way more expensive than processed and/or mass produced food. Much cheaper to feed kids Little Debbie snacks than to give them fresh fruits for snacks. 

I have slowly ben turning towards the higher better cuts of meat. Chicken, pork, beef etc.....  Definitely costs more but tastes better. Haven't found a really great farmers market but if you shop carefully in the better grocery stores you can find the good stuff but you can't shop by price. 

• Like 2

You should give her one of Joel Salatin's books or Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma". We pay for cheap food every paycheck in the taxes deducted, every month when we pay the premium for our health insurance. If you think your employer "gives" you your health insurance you're kidding yourself.

• Like 1

Your worker friend is just the type of customer the industrial food giants love!   

We eat high quality meat when we eat meat which is irregular/infrequent (prefer wild game).   Quality produce, especially this time of year, is more expensive per serving and calorie than small farm meat.   When ALL the factors are considered I would argue its less expensive to eat well than to eat cheap.   

When I started out in sales along time ago a peer of mine told me:  "you can train for just about any sales scenario; however there just isn't a technique to overcome ignorance".   Right he was.   

Unfortunately there are more folks that will step over a dollar to pick up a dime ... all things groceries and health included.    People don't consider the ramifications of their food choices, for their own well being and those of the farmers and ranchers that produce our food... most never consider the plight of of the field (and slaughterhouse) workers exposed to toxic pesticides, herbicides, etc.    

Stay the course Garvinque as it will pay dividends in taste, your short and long term health and animal & farmer welfare.

Edited by dstr8
  • Like 2

There's a perception that farmer's market produce is more expensive than the grocery store stuff imported from Chile. We've found the opposite to be true. And if you sniff around, there are some outright bargains, like a full box of sweet taters for $15. I buy one of those every fall and it lasts me the winter. 

True there's a lot of ignorance out there. I remember a few years back when my daughter had a friend over after school. I started preparing dinner and her friend was mesmerized. Her Mom showed up and I made small talk telling her how interested her daughter was in my slicing of potatoes. Mom laughingly said that was because she'd never seen a potato. To them, potatoes come from a box. :shock:  

I have similar but lesser struggles at home too. Wife would rather drive halfway across the county to buy produce at Wegman's (which is higher quality than most, and her cart is always mostly produce) than to make time for the farmer's market just down the road on Saturday mornings.

I've come to realize that my overall attitude and approach to food is pretty far outside the norm. 

• Like 2

I experience this topic almost everyday.  I have converted a few people.  I shop mainly at the Farmers market and an organic grocery store.  For the things I buy, I find the organic grocery store cheaper than the local Giant and Safeway.  There is a feta cheese that I buy, at Gaint, Wegman's and Harris Teeter, it was $9 while at the local Organic market it is $4.50.  I think the larger stores do this to create a halo around organic food and make people think they are saving money.  I also order my Chickens from Joe Salatin because I love the American Bresse.  The stock from the chickens is phenomenal.  Apart from the farmers market, I also grow a few food items, mainly herbs  tomatoes and peppers.  I am adding greens like Kale, Collards and Spinach this year.   After gardening for my food, I respect what farmers do more and more.  It is a hard life and no one gets rich doing it.  Talking to the farmers gives you and appreciation for the labor of love that the organic and exotic farmer practice.  The price we see for most produce in the grocery store is so artificially low that it distorts the real price of food.  I als find that people waste a lot of produce.  Buying at the market allows me to get the smallest amount possible, I can easily get one onion, one apple, a handful of arugula, etc so that I am less wasteful with the food.

Because I make everything from scratch, my grocery bill is quite reasonable.  We also eat a lot less than I see most people eating.  The meals I make a more complex because of the interesting vegetables at the farmers market so they tend to me more filling.  Right now apples and Asian pears are plentiful and they get used in savory meals and desserts alike.  Eating seasonally has also changed my cooking style.  I have maintained the same weight over ten years following this approach.  I do exercise daily but I know that the way I eat also has an effect on my general well being.  

Every dinner party I have, people always comment on how wonderful the food tastes.  I know I am a great cook:-) but really it is the quality of the ingredients.  I am in the hunt this week for a local goat farmer so I can get a whole goat.  My previous goat supplier sold his goat herd!

Do what is important for your health and your family.  Everyone else will have to figure it out for themselves.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Homepro01 said:

I experience this topic almost everyday.  I have converted a few people.  I shop mainly at the Farmers market and an organic grocery store.  For the things I buy, I find the organic grocery store cheaper than the local Giant and Safeway.  There is a feta cheese that I buy, at Gaint, Wegman's and Harris Teeter, it was $9 while at the local Organic market it is $4.50.  I think the larger stores do this to create a halo around organic food and make people think they are saving money.  I also order my Chickens from Joe Salatin because I love the American Bresse.  The stock from the chickens is phenomenal.  Apart from the farmers market, I also grow a few food items, mainly herbs  tomatoes and peppers.  I am adding greens like Kale, Collards and Spinach this year.   After gardening for my food, I respect what farmers do more and more.  It is a hard life and no one gets rich doing it.  Talking to the farmers gives you and appreciation for the labor of love that the organic and exotic farmer practice.  The price we see for most produce in the grocery store is so artificially low that it distorts the real price of food.  I als find that people waste a lot of produce.  Buying at the market allows me to get the smallest amount possible, I can easily get one onion, one apple, a handful of arugula, etc so that I am less wasteful with the food.

Because I make everything from scratch, my grocery bill is quite reasonable.  We also eat a lot less than I see most people eating.  The meals I make a more complex because of the interesting vegetables at the farmers market so they tend to me more filling.  Right now apples and Asian pears are plentiful and they get used in savory meals and desserts alike.  Eating seasonally has also changed my cooking style.  I have maintained the same weight over ten years following this approach.  I do exercise daily but I know that the way I eat also has an effect on my general well being.  

Every dinner party I have, people always comment on how wonderful the food tastes.  I know I am a great cook:-) but really it is the quality of the ingredients.  I am in the hunt this week for a local goat farmer so I can get a whole goat.  My previous goat supplier sold his goat herd!

Do what is important for your health and your family.  Everyone else will have to figure it out for themselves.  

You must here in VA somewhere. Absolutely agree on the Polyface chickens. Top notch. 

I'm also within 10 lbs of my wedding day weight (25 years ago). People always ask me how I can cook and eat the way I do and don't weigh 300 lbs. Pretty simple -- I eat real food and avoid the processed junk. 

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 3

Jeff I live in Montogimery County!  I agree about eating real food.  I do understand that I like real food because I enjoy cooking and most people think of it as a chore.  I am dismayed by all the ingredients in all the "food" that is available in the grocery store.  Why does whipping cream have carregenan in it?  Why do we add flour to everything?  I am not gluten intolerance but why add flour or wheat to salad dressing?  Once you start paying attention to ingredients,you will notice the hidden sugar, wheat and salt that adds no value to the final product beyond making it shelf stable.  I worry about young kids who never get to taste real food and learn to love fresh veggies.  As a kid, I got to eat a lot of things that I would not have selected myself because they were not chicken nuggets or rice a roni.  My parents made sure we had a diverse diet and were constantly trying new things so I have an appreciation for different foods except Brussels Sprouts:-(

• Like 4

I have a small container garden that I started three years ago, and am getting better with the produce I get now. I also compost most everything that can be compost, all junk mail is put in the compost bin the ink we use nowadays is veggie oil with food coloring so not harmful, egg shells ,coffee, tea bags, etc. My actual trash is so small it goes to the curb every two weeks instead of every week. Our city has an great recycling program and they sell for cheap compost soil to help promote healthy lawns that don't require a lot of rain to survive the summer. My goal this year is to grow 60% of my produce and get about 7 backyard chickens for eggs and to add their waste to my compost bid.  Goal make my foot print smaller!!!!!!!

Garvin

• Like 2

On 1/15/2017 at 7:13 AM, HalfSmoke said:

I have similar but lesser struggles at home too. Wife would rather drive halfway across the county to buy produce at Wegman's (which is higher quality than most, and her cart is always mostly produce) than to make time for the farmer's market just down the road on Saturday mornings.

Our Wegman's buys a bunch of local produce and meat from the vendors that also sell at the farmers market during the summer months.  Great option for us in the winter.  I love our Wegman's stores!!!!!   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Our Wegman's buys a bunch of local produce and meat from the vendors that also sell at the farmers market during the summer months.  Great option for us in the winter.  I love our Wegman's stores!!!!!   

Yeah, Wegman's is definitely awesome. Far better and more reasonably priced than any Giant or Safeway around here. Meat is often cheaper than Costco too. That said, the farmer's market stuff is still better & fresher. While definitely better than stuff imported from Chile, Wegman's still has that characteristic of produce picked a bit early, warehoused, then trucked to the store. Miles better than produce at any other supermarket, though.

• Like 3

I'm lucky living in Perth have some great local vegetable markets to buy from and a lot of Asian stores to source things like banana leaves and all those other goodies and good local butchers .I got some green eggs from a butcher in dowerin which is a country town he bred a certain type of chook can't remember it's name but they tasted fantastic .we are having a debate down here over GM and normal

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

I'm lucky living in Perth have some great local vegetable markets to buy from and a lot of Asian stores to source things like banana leaves and all those other goodies and good local butchers .I got some green eggs from a butcher in dowerin which is a country town he bred a certain type of chook can't remember it's name but they tasted fantastic .we are having a debate down here over GM and normal

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

It might be this breed they lay blue and green eggs and remember the color of the egg is just that the color will not affect the actual taste. The breed is called Ameraucana but ask the vendor because there is another breed that lays them too!

• Like 1