Garvinque

KBB in KK?

In principle, yes. I wouldn't, but yes. Two reasons I wouldn't: 

1) While the KK isn't nearly as degraded by ash buildup as other Kamados (see the ckreef experiment where he didn't empty the ash for something like 25 cooks), it will produce much more ash than lump just the same. 

2) Lump is reusable across multiple cooks. Briquettes break down. Given how little charcoal my KK consumes, I definitely want to reuse the leftover charcoal. Would be very expensive not to. 

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

In principle, yes. I wouldn't, but yes. Two reasons I wouldn't: 

1) While the KK isn't nearly as degraded by ash buildup as other Kamados (see the ckreef never experiment where he didn't empty the ash for something like 25 cooks), it will produce much more ash than lump just the same. 

2) Lump is reusable across multiple cooks. Briquettes break down. Given how little charcoal my KK consumes, I definitely want to reuse the leftover charcoal. Would be very expensive not to. 

Thanks for responding to the question, I asked because sometimes that is what available to the user for many reasons. Example you run out of lump and go the nearest box store and all they have is KBB or Stubbs etc. Good to know if in a pinch using some will not be harmful to the KK.

Garvin

No such thing as running out of lump. I learned a couple of years ago that you buy lump 5, 10, 20 bags at a time.  When it goes on sale you buy $100, $200, $300 worth. You'll only use it sooner or later anyway. When you get down to 5 or 10 bags start looking for another deal. 

Living in GA's high humidity I've never found it to be a problem with long term storage. Just don't let it get rained on. 

• Like 1