I started on kamado guru .and then came here I love the peacefulness resently I've joined an Australian BBQ site that is open to off sets pellet grills and everything else .it's been traumatic the amount of people that don't have a clue and want to attack you .trying to explain that you don't need a water pan in a kamado is so funny .just blows my mind

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

I started on kamado guru .and then came here I love the peacefulness resently I've joined an Australian BBQ site that is open to off sets pellet grills and everything else .it's been traumatic the amount of people that don't have a clue and want to attack you .trying to explain that you don't need a water pan in a kamado is so funny .just blows my mind

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Yup! I think I've been on six or so BBQ sites over the years. I'm down to 3-1/2. But you're exactly right. Each is its own little ecosystem with a feedback loop that reinforces itself with the accepted doctrine of that site. You can't break it. You can only choose whether or not to engage on those points. Gives you keen insight into how terrorist cells form. 

• Like 6

I just lurk over on the Guru site for the Challenge entries by our folks here.

I recently bought Meathead's book and it gives you a code for temporary access to the Amazing Ribs forum. Been thinking about checking it out, but as others have said, it's hard enough keeping up with what I already have. I missed a day here and came back to like 20 new posts to sort through today! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tony b said:

I just lurk over on the Guru site for the Challenge entries by our folks here.

I recently bought Meathead's book and it gives you a code for temporary access to the Amazing Ribs forum. Been thinking about checking it out, but as others have said, it's hard enough keeping up with what I already have. I missed a day here and came back to like 20 new posts to sort through today! 

The "Pit" at Amazing Ribs is in my current lineup. I don't go over there often, but when I do it is for the incredibly long (and useful) thread on sourdough bread (whoda thunk?). There are three key doctrines there, and don't you dare suggest otherwise. They are: 1) Always reverse sear. Always. 2) Dry brine and no salt in rubs. 3) Don't rest your meat. Those are the big three. I like Meathead's stuff, but I'm undecided as to whether I'll renew. The other site I'll poke in at on rare occasion is BBQ Brethren, where you'll thrive if you love UDS's, stick burners, cabinets, or anything from Weber. 

• Like 1

Again HalfSmoke thanks' for leading me here, I have five sites I used to frequent Weber Bullet, Weber Kettle, SmokingMeats.com, Kamado Guru and here. I found since I have join both the Guru and Komodo Kamado's sites I haven't been on Weber Bullet at all, have cut down on Weber Kettle and have settle on Kamado Guru, SmokingMeats.com and Komodo Kamado. I will probably stop the Weber Kettle site even thought I still have a kettle because what I learned from that site I have also gotten from the Weber cookbook. I like smokingmeats.com because they have some good info from time to time, but the guru and komodo are really the sites have come to most.

On this site especially we have people who act their age not their shoe size(Prince) and having a difference of opinion is not a bad thing. With the Guru I would say the same for the most part and there are more references to check out. Both sites have me saving up to buy a KK for my birthday this May and I can't say any other site I have been has me wanting something so bad.

Garvin

• Like 1

I used to frequent the Weber Bullet when I first got a WSM a loooong time ago. It's a great site. Have also dabbled at Smoking Meats, but it seemed a bit basic and leaned toward electric smokers. 

As for Amazing Ribs...yup! Meathead's stuff isn't bad, but it is a little bit of science mixed with a lot of preference, and the site is for the true believers. Skeptics need not apply. The thing about resting meat in particular is one where I roll my eyes. This is a case where he stands alone against every chef on the planet, has no basis, and is designed for him to stand out as a myth buster. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shuley said:

Kamado guru is the only other one I use. I'm busy most of the time! This is actually the only form of social media I use at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with ya. I'm actually having a hard time keeping up with the guru lately too. Have had to ignore several threads I'd ordinarily be interested in. 

• Like 1

As for Amazingribs.com they want to scream at you that resting meats has no value because their research says it ok to just cut right into meat when every other site, chef, book says the opposite and aversion to Kamado's and they seem to me to push products that sponsor their site.
Garvin

The "To Rest or not to Rest" question is fascinating to me. And I do think that Meathead has a point despite the fact that the science pretty clearly shows how moisture/juice loss reduces over resting time.

Compare these 2 articles:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/how-to-have-juicy-meats-steaks-the-food-lab-the-importance-of-resting-grilling.html#comments-76594
Probably one of the more well thought out tests.

And this:
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_resting_meat.html

To me, the answer is - it depends... yes, the science is right that the juice leeches out if you don't rest, however Meathead has a point about crust and eating steaks hot...

To be honest, by the time I get steaks on a plate with all the sides and set on the table, they've probably been off the heat for at least 5 mins and more like 10 when we cut into them!

However those first bits of bark off of a brisket fresh from the KK are pretty irresistible!!

I believe it's all about finding a balance and going with what you like best. For big tomahawk steaks (my favourite to cook incase you hadn't guessed!) I like to cut them straight away and pour the juices back over the slices

As for Meathead not liking Kamados, I don't think that's true. He has a pretty fair write up of the style here
http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/egg_kamado_and_ceramic_grills_and_smokers.html
And I think you'll find his main criticism around grilling to be a fair point for most kamados. He's also a big fan of the KK - I think it's right up there on his list of "if money was no object" cookers.

Saying all that, I only use this forum. I use amazingribs.com for some rub ideas and temp choices for ribs (duh!) and stuff and serious eats for recipie and the food lab articles and chefsteps for their sous vide obsession.

This forum's great - all I'll ever need and such a friendly community! I think I'll stay in my little bubble if ya don't mind

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

12 hours ago, tomahawk66 said:

To be honest, by the time I get steaks on a plate with all the sides and set on the table, they've probably been off the heat for at least 5 mins and more like 10 when we cut into them!

This has been my philosophy on the matter for quite some time now. Exception is that I do generally wrap and rest pork butts and briskets in the cooler for at least an hour. 

This has been my philosophy on the matter for quite some time now. Exception is that I do generally wrap and rest pork butts and briskets in the cooler for at least an hour. 

I also do depending on when it's ready... I find the variation between each butt and brisket to be enough that I never can tell if it'll be coming out just in time for dinner or 2 hours before!

They also hold there heat well and the bark isn't exactly crispy like a steak.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk