ckreef

Miyabi Artisan SG2 Knives

Tired of crappy knives my entire life I finally got my first real knives. Also a Hinoki cutting board to go with them. I plan on purchasing a few more as money allows over the next few months. 

Definitely wicked sharp out of the box. Thinnest tomato slice I've ever done and I wasn't even holding the tomato. I'm going to have to improve my knife skills. 

MKa.jpg

MKb.jpg

MKc.jpg

MKd.jpg

MKe.jpg

A Bistro Junk Pie is on the menu tonight. Over 10 different toppings should give me plenty of play time. Dough has been refrigerator rising overnight. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, dstr8 said:

I've been thinking about 'going Japanese' too ... much better steel than anything I've seen out of Germany.   Curious to hear your feedback Charles!

The chef's knife is going to get a good workout tonight. I'll post some feedback later tonight or tomorrow. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FotonDrv said:

WOW hardly describes those knives.  I have been a fan of good cutlery for years yet the cost has always scared me off.  Maybe in my Golden Years I will have to treat myself :-)

Thanks for Posting these.

The price has always scared me off too. But then I figured I somehow managed to buy 2 KK's what's a few hundred or so on knives. I'm in the process of building a custom knife holder that will also show them off. To pretty to hide in a block. 

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

Tired of crappy knives my entire life I finally got my first real knives. Also a Hinoki cutting board to go with them. I plan on purchasing a few more as money allows over the next few months. 

Definitely wicked sharp out of the box. Thinnest tomato slice I've ever done and I wasn't even holding the tomato. I'm going to have to improve my knife skills. 

MKa.jpg

MKb.jpg

MKc.jpg

MKd.jpg

MKe.jpg

A Bistro Junk Pie is on the menu tonight. Over 10 different toppings should give me plenty of play time. Dough has been refrigerator rising overnight. 

Never said beautiful to describe a knife or knives but they are beau·ti·ful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!\

Congrats again Charles

Garvin

Edited by Garvinque
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

Sweet knives! Sounds like you're as amazed as I am by my Kurosaki. Congrats!

Completely amazed - I'll leave the final review for my Bistro Junk Pie thread. Hopefully I won't screw this pizza cook up because I definitely have some sliced up ingredients - LOL 

• Like 1

I have been vacillating between SG2 and VG10 ... very good arguments/fanboys in each corner.   I've had a 10" Masamoto VG10 in my "cart" for awhile, and haven't pulled trigger, based upon the recommendation of a friend and CIA trained chef  ... God I'd love to test both out and make up my own mind as that's the only way these things typically get resolved :D.  You'd think with all the other *hit I have it wouldn't be a big deal <roll eyes>.

Edited by dstr8

12 minutes ago, dstr8 said:

I have been vacillating between SG2 and VG10 ... very good arguments/fanboys in each corner.   I've had a 10" Masamoto VG10 in my "cart" for awhile, and haven't pulled trigger, based upon the recommendation of a friend and CIA trained chef  ... God I'd love to test both out and make up my own mind as that's the only way these things typically get resolved :D.  You'd think with all the other *hit I have it wouldn't be a big deal <roll eyes>.

My knife is a Kurosaki Megumi Damascus clad VG-10. I like it a lot. Honestly...and I just might be considered a heretic if I ever posted this on a knife forum...I think any high quality steel is more than sufficient for all but the most snobbish knife aficionados. I picked my knife because of how it felt in my hand. The balance was different and more favorable from other gyutos I held, and I held everything in the store. If you can't actually hold it, then you're down to selecting based on secondary factors. You'll still end up with a high quality knife that's better than my old Wusthof Classic either way. 

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1

Thanks Jeff!   Unfortunately we just don't have any good knife shops here that have offerings I am interested in; maybe an excuse to go see friends over the hill in Sacramento if it ever quits snowing :D.  

I did get sucked into the Misen Kickstarter deal and like the knife's geometry; however the steel isn't living up to their hype (nicks very easily at their 30º bevel).  But for $65 I knew I could put it in our camping kit if I didn't like it.

I did a good bit of research between VG-10 and SG2. Both are considered really hard super steels. VG-10 coming in at a Rockwell 61-62 depending on the tempering method. SG2 coming in around a Rockwell 63. 

The difference lies in how brittle the  edge is.  SG2 is a powdered metal. That is mixed better resulting in micro grains that are more tight. The end result is a slightly harder steel that chips slightly less. Slightly being ever so slightly. Because it is slightly  harder,  SG2 is usually ground to a 12* bevel compared to VG-10 at a 15* bevel. SG2 being just slightly sharper.  But either VG-10 or SG2 compared to a none Japanese knife at 22* - 26* bevel about twice as sharp if that's even possible. 

I don't think you could go wrong with either and I doubt you or me could ever tell the difference. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

They look wicked ckreef great buy where's the green tomato lol .I have been looking at new knives for a while when I get some money saved I might look into it .

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Three green tomatoes sitting at home waiting for tonight's dinner :)

• Like 2