ckreef

Miyabi Artisan SG2 Knives

Excellent set of knives, Charles! Envious and I have more knives than I know what to do with - including 3 Shun - Utility, Santoku and Nakiri.

The other is a single bevel 15* yanagiba that I picked up on Amazon for a decent price ($77) to check out how I like the style before thinking about plunking serious coin down on a better one. This one is great for slicing and I get to practice my manual whetstone skills to sharpen it, too. But, alas it's not available on Amazon right now.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I06P3Z8

DSCN1072.JPG

Big fan of Japanese knives, but the really nice ones are serious coin - thousands of dollars. Probably never going to get that far into it, but they are handmade works of art, just like a KK. Seems only fitting, right?

• Like 1

This is about $550 per kitchen, and I did it twice. I'm easily amused, but my knives are about twice as sharp as I thought humanly possible. This thrills me every single night, worth the price of admission.

(One needs some holder, there are inexpensive alternatives. One needs some flattener, I don't trust other choices with the finer grade stones. If one skimps, the starter set is $264  + some way to hold stones + some way to flatten stones.)

Shapton Glass 4pc Set 500x, 1k, 4k, 8k

Shapton GlassStone 2000 Grit

Shapton Sharpening Stone Holder

Atoma 1200x

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dstr8 said:

looks like mucho skill to keep the angle consistent ...

That's an empirical question. In fact, both the friction feeling and the sound are similar feedback loops to playing a musical instrument, and even other species get pretty good at making music.

I had other, softer old-school (presoak) water stones, e.g. Japanese from Hida Tools, and the Norton combo stones. It was less fun, more hassle to get started so I wouldn't, and what I'm getting now is twice as sharp.

Not sure where the idea of checking a knife with one's finger came from (or cutting paper), seems a parlor trick like manipulating the smoke ring for judges with blown-out taste buds. I notice these are much sharper on actual kitchen tasks, like thinly slicing across the grain of less-than-ideal ginger, or slicing salumi as thin as the vacuum packs of already prepared slices.

I can believe a machine could do a good job, though I'm suspicious after the machines I've actually used. Again an empirical question. People who use angle assistance on stones like these view them as clumsy training wheels, that they ditch as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Having never mastered the technique of consistently holding the angle freehand ... and not being a young man anymore :D ... me wonders how long it takes and/or how many knives before core competence is realized (given a decent level of ability for most things hand process including woodworking, basic machining skills, GTAW welding, etc.)?

Really shiny objects (especially with dimples) are really hard to photograph. After looking back at my pictures I realized the blade picture really sucked. I  tried  again in an attempt to show them how they really look. These knives are like KK's, pictures don't do them justice. 

These are really, really thin blades. At it's thickest point (top edge near the handle) they are a little thinner than a penny. They only get thinner from there going down and towards the tip. 

MDa.jpg

Mida.jpg

This is the best I could do to show how shiny it is, the hammered finish and the color of the Miyabi emblem. 

MDb.jpg

5 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

That does look beautiful I seen on for sale here at a good discounted price .is your a zwilling henkler miyabi the net brings up henkler and just miyabi

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Miyabi is owned by Zwilling. When Zwilling wanted to branch out into Japanese knives they decided to change the brand name so their Japanese lines wouldn't be confused as German knives. Either way they are all hand made in Japan but they are made with very exacting standards and have very  modern packaging. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ckreef said:

Really shiny objects (especially with dimples) are really hard to photograph.

Yes, I keep exploring the idea of getting some kind of USB microscope, or similar. I would use it to monitor and understand the grind from my Pharos hand coffee mill. To understand sharpening using my Shapton Glass waterstones. If sufficiently powerful, to understand what's going on in my sourdough starter and my various (e.g. hot sauce) fermentation experiments.

My rough take is "junk or $4,000". Sound familiar? Not as generally useful as a KK, so I haven't.

3 hours ago, tony b said:

@Syzygies - as you probably saw, those sizes are all in microns.

Yes. What I don't know is the micron range for espresso, and whether they've actually bracketed it. My Pharos manual talks about 1/2 - 3/4 turn as the adjustment range for espresso, with the most powerful machines best able to handle the finer grinds. I don't know what this is in microns.