Jon B.

Need A Good Laugh........

I have done a lot of things in my life but welding steel is not one of them. 

When I built my rolling cart for the 19" TT KK, the only wheels Tractor Supply had were the swivel caster wheels.  I ended up putting 4 of them on my cart.   Normally a cart like that has 2 fixed wheels and 2 swivel wheels.  

20160220_140648.jpeg

Trying to move the cart with the 4 swivel wheels, all going in different directions, was like watching the Three Stooges or the Keystone Cops.  I laughed at myself every time I tried to move it outside to cook.

I tried to locate 2 fixed wheels to make it right but couldn't find a pair to match my swivel wheels.  So I decided to have two of the swivel wheels welded in a fixed position.  

That would involve having to slide the KK off of the cart, onto a pallet, so I could bring the cart into work for the maintenance man to weld it up.   It sounded simple but I was have a hard time finding a pallet(s) that matched the height of the cart.  I was working by myself and didn't want to try and lift the KK.

That's when I remembered..................30 years ago I tucked a small 120 volt welder in the back of the shed.  Hey................Maybe I can do this myself with the KK in place????? :idea:

Went to the shed and found the welder under a huge mouse nest.  Cleaned it off as best as possible and plugged it in.....nothing!  Gave the box a swift kick and it started humming.  Bingo!

Welder.jpeg

Tim the Tool Man has nothing on me.  :-D  Welding can't be that hard!!!!  :confused:

Borrowed a welding helmet from work,  hooked everything up, got the grill & cart into position and proceeded to weld away. :smt027

It took me about 10 tries but I finally managed to get a bead going.  Only got the welding rod stuck on the wheel another 10 times.  Went through 15 welding rods.......... but finally managed to get 2 good spot welds on each of the caster wheel frames.

Here is the good laugh...........my finished results:

Weld.jpeg

It did the trick....the wheels no longer swivel and the cart is manageable now.....and the great thing is that you can't see the welds from a standing position  :smt023.  

I do not plan to quit my day job!!!!!!!

Too much fun.

• Like 4