Garvinque

Day Dreaming about a KK!

So I spent half my lunch on Komodo Kamado site looking at the grills again, and I was thinking about baby steps in when a baby starts to walk the steps are small at first then slowly gets wider or larger depends on how you look at that:). So I started looking at the 16.5 KK and said Garvin(yes I talk to myself sometimes):smt102maybe you should get one of these first then move up to a larger size, so I looked at the options that come with the smallest KK and saw that the list was not as large as the others but saw a solid hex/square roti motor shaft and a solid square/square roti shaft but no basket or rod for roti cooking. Is there a roti basket and if not why have these as an accessory item?

Still loving that green glass color but the black pebble is starting to creep ahead of it, another reason to get this size first is space in the backyard and building a cinder block table would be easy task and cheaper on the wallet. What do you ladies and germs think about me starting small then moving up to maybe 19 or 23 later any advice is welcome.

Garvin

Nothing wrong with ending up being a 2 KK family!!!!

I did the same thing you are asking about........bought a 19" while I save up for a larger unit.  

ckreef can give advice on the 16" vs. the 19".  I know MacKenzie's newer, custom ordered 16" has features that the reef's unit  does not.  My want to check that out if ordering from stock.  

You can cook a lot of food on a 19" TT..............

pork4.jpeg

pork3.jpeg

You  definitely have the fever brother!!!

• Like 1

Garvin, I would go for a little larger one first, then later if you think you need another one for slides or so you can run two at the same time with different temperatures get the smaller one then. It is far far better to have too much space than too little. I bought the 21/22 high top first. It is more flexible than the 16. The grates are farther from the Flames and you can have the spit and the basket. I mainly wanted the 16 for winter time cooking when it is really cold. Quicker to heat up, far less mass, much easier to roll out, etc. Sometimes all the accessories are not listed on the Web. I do have the spit rod. Get what you really want even if you have to wait a little longer. You might find the larger one is all you need, I doubt you will find the smaller one is all you need. That my 2 cents at the moment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jon B. said:

Nothing wrong with ending up being a 2 KK family!!!!

I did the same thing you are asking about........bought a 19" while I save up for a larger unit.  

ckreef can give advice on the 16" vs. the 19".  I know MacKenzie's newer, custom ordered 16" has features that the reef's unit  does not.  My want to check that out if ordering from stock.  

You can cook a lot of food on a 19" TT..............

pork4.jpeg

pork3.jpeg

You  definitely have the fever brother!!!

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

Garvin, I would go for a little larger one first, then later if you think you need another one for slides or so you can run two at the same time with different temperatures get the smaller one then. It is far far better to have too much space than too little. I bought the 21/22 high top first. It is more flexible than the 16. The grates are farther from the Flames and you can have the spit and the basket. I mainly wanted the 16 for winter time cooking when it is really cold. Quicker to heat up, far less mass, much easier to roll out, etc. Sometimes all the accessories are not listed on the Web. I do have the spit rod. Get what you really want even if you have to wait a little longer. You might find the larger one is all you need, I doubt you will find the smaller one is all you need. That my 2 cents at the moment.

Thanks for responding the 19 isn't that much more in price than the 16.5 and has more extras that I can get, the 19 was the one that caught my eye first. Now is the green I want or that black pebble?

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

Another 2 cents...  Having the biggest one you can afford and the space for it means that you can throttle it down for small fires or visa versa.  The Basket Splitter works very well to control the charcoal consumption.  I have a fire on one side of the KK and can either sear or move the food over to a cooler part of the grill cook things slower.

The 16TT has the advantage of being somewhat portable.

Edited by FotonDrv
spelling
  • Like 1

I did it the other way. I got a 23" in October and then an older (non high top) 16" during the Black Friday sale. It has worked out quite well as I put the 16 on our screened porch and I've been using it much more than the 23 since the weather turned cold, rainy, snowy and icy (perhaps not to MacKenzie's standards, but still...). For Christmas Eve dinner I had them both going, smoking a prime rib roast on the 23 and some Atlantic salmon for the salad course on the 16. 

Like many here, I think having two is great and offers terrific flexibility.

Jon

• Like 1

Like others have suggested, get the bigger one first, then you can see what size (up or down) will work best for you. Depending on your long term plans for where they'll be located, consider either the 22" high cap table top or the standard 23" OTB as your kick-off smoker. (Hint - some good deals on the 22" Supreme right now!)

Knowing that you are preferring the black pebble......

knowing that the 22" high caps are still available on a discounted rate...

knowing that the 22" has black pebble available....

I am not sure why you haven't pulled the trigger yet.  

This is the perfect opportunity to own all the benefits of the larger grill that you are after, in the tile pattern you prefer, at a price that is fantastic....

Life is short and my friend it is time that you join the ranks of your fellow KK friends!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bosco said:

Knowing that you are preferring the black pebble......

knowing that the 22" high caps are still available on a discounted rate...

knowing that the 22" has black pebble available....

I am not sure why you haven't pulled the trigger yet.  

This is the perfect opportunity to own all the benefits of the larger grill that you are after, in the tile pattern you prefer, at a price that is fantastic....

Life is short and my friend it is time that you join the ranks of your fellow KK friends!

51 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

What bosco said

Bosco everything you said makes sense but I do have to wait until May before I make the jump into KK ownership. If the 22's are still available at that time something to consider.

Edited by Garvinque
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bosco said:

we all do... its part of the obsession lol!

you my friend have the virus and you have it bad!  KK flu is a terrible thing

Yeah, caught it from you, halfsmoke, and ckreef-lol Really thought my next one was either going to be Weber Summit, KJ classic or Primo round!!

Garvin

Bosco everything you said makes sense but I do have to wait until May before I make the jump into KK ownership. If the 22's are still available at that time something to consider.

Kk have the finance option maybe you could ring Dennis see if he would take a deposit and hold one for you until you save the coin .Dennis is a very reasonable person to talk to and I'm sure he would not bat an eyelid over 4 months .I started out on a kj classic .then the Jr .I love my classic have done some great cooks on it.and when I got the joetisserie that was a game changer but noticed a few imperfections but for the price that's cool .I was always lurking on the KK section on Guru slowly admiring how built they were and the built in rotisserie. Then some lowlife scum changed my life and stole my pride and joy a triumph street triple one of the last built at Hinkley .all I was left with was my insurance money I was so tempted to get another bike like so tempted lol but this is now or never I decided on the 23 mid range perfect for my needs and at a price I could compftably afford and still be able to afford a steak to cook on it.lol.i say give Dennis a call

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

I'm surprised @Garvinque hasn't already made that trek. Heck, I'm almost tempted by that offer, but I already have a KK and Syracuse is a wee bit chilly and snowy this time of year. 

Come up in the summer and bring the family...............then we can go out on the lake..........after our KK meal !!!!

• Like 1

yes you definitely have the kk flu only cure is to call Dennis and put your order in  i dont see you making it to may lol although you can try  trust me i think we all said the same thing i am waiting the money isnt there ect ect but fact is we all got our kk's sooner then we thought 

truth is once you pull the trigger and get it home you will kick your self for not getting it sooner

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jon B. said:

You really need to make that short drive to Syracuse to touch & feel the 19"KK.  You think you have the fever now.............wait until you see a KK in person.

We will fire that puppy up and let you handle the controls!!!!!!  

Maybe we can arrange a date in April right before I take the plunge!!

Garvin

Edited by Garvinque