Garvinque

My first bread bake! Cuban bread

2 hours ago, Garvinque said:

Ok, the loaves are in the oven proofing and here's a picture of that I will post thru second stage then the bake itself!

Garvin

bread 005.jpg

bread 004.jpg

Ok so I did something wrong because the bread isn't as high as I thought it would be, might have pressed down to much because it did rise up.

bread 007.jpgbread 010.jpg

Going to let cool for a few and let you know about the taste, still going to make a Cubano sandwich unless taste is off!

Garvin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

Nice looking sandwich plate. :)  Did you make the loaves 12 inches long? I agree with your thoughts on the rise. I would have expected the loaves to have risen higher. When I did mine I didn't press all that much to flatten them.

Yes I believe they were slightly longer than 12, going to try again next weekend! Tasted good though and the sandwich was really good!!

Garvin

So I found this online about what Cuban bread should look like and some history:

Garvin

A traditional loaf of Cuban bread is approximately three feet long and somewhat rectangular crossways (as compared to the rounder shape of Italian or French bread loaves). It has a hard, thin, almost papery toasted crust and a soft flaky center .[10] In the early days, the dough was stretched thin to make it last, creating the bread's distinctive air pockets and long shape. As they have for decades, La Segunda and other traditional Cuban bread makers lay a long, moist palmetto frond on top of the loaves before baking, creating a shallow trench in the upper crust, producing an effect similar to the slashing of a European-style loaf. (The frond is removed before eating.)

Cuban bread is the necessary base for a 'Cuban sandwich' (sometimes called a "sandwich mixto").[11][12][13] It can also be served as a simple breakfast, especially toasted and pressed with butter and served alongside (and perhaps dunked into) a hot mug of cafe con leche (strong dark-roasted Cuban coffee with scalded milk).

Because the traditional recipe uses no preservatives, Cuban bread tends to go stale quickly and should be eaten soon after baking before it becomes hard and dry. It can be frozen for shipping or storage.[14] In Tampa, stale Cuban bread became an ingredient in other recipes, such as the breading of a deviled crab.[15]

21 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

OK I see now I used butter it was on hand and the odds of me finding lard was nilch .but I got the crunch which I liked so great flat crunchy bread recipe

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

I made a small pork picnic for the sandwich and I took the skin off and render the fat to get my lard for the bread, your bread and MacKenzie's bread was a tad taller than mine, so I still believe I pressed down to much. Good to know that it is an flat bread so to speak. Now I need some Cuban coffee to have some for breakfast!!

50 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

If I am not mistaken it did say allow a 2 hour rise

I think that was my mistake because I only let it rise for 1.5hrs instead of 2hrs, so when I do it again I will let it rise for the whole two hours. Mac do you let your dough rise on the counter or in  the oven, mine I put in the oven?

Garvin

Garvin, I have some of these container so I know when the dough has doubled.

Bowl.jpg

I can't see why it would take 2 hours or even 1.5 hours in a warm over which is what he used in the video. It's not the time to be concerned about but how much the dough rises, you only want it to double.

I made mine using the recipe you kindly posted.:) Then changed the units of measure to suit my preferred method, weight not volume.

One thing I see differently is that I used all my started to make the bread. Keep in mind I have only made this recipe once and I am not positive that the flour is not a little on the short side. I may need to increase the weight of the flour just  a tad but we will see when I make it the next time.

Cuban Bread

http://foodwishes.blogspot.ca/

For the starter:

125g warm water

65g flour

1.8g dry active yeast

- mix well and refrigerate overnight

For the dough:

10g active dry yeast
8.1g sugar
175g warm water

- mix and let stand 15 minutes

- add starter from  yesterday, it should be at room temperature.

35g lard 
13.6g salt

400g bread flour

Knead until it passes the window pane test for gluten development.

Place in oiled bowl until it doubles.

Spread into a large rectangle and cut in half. Roll gently to form 2 loaves and flatten the tops somewhat. (TIP: Handle the dough gently, don't beat all the air out of it.) The logs will each be about 12 inches long. Let rise until double. Score the top of the loaves right down the middle of the whole length of the loaves.

Bake at 400F for 20-25 mins. Mine were done at 18 mins. Internal Temperature of the bread was 206F.

I will repeat the pix of my first loaves.

Cuban Bread is Baked.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 3

I have a scale maybe I should start using, also I used half APF and half Bread flour! My starter from the fidge wasn't cold but wasn't room temp either will have to keep trying but I think I am going to love baking like my mom does. Thanks for the information on how you did yours!!

Garvin