FotonDrv

Show Me Your Regulators, please

I have tried 2 different regulators now and both did not work correctly.  A "High Pressure" one rated for BBQ's that was a 15psi model, a today the "Adjustable High Pressure 0-40psi" regulator.  Neither of them produced a clean blue flame.  And yes, I did try adjusting the air mix on the burner and nothing got be a blue flame.

So could you all that have gas burners show me your regulators and tell me what model/type they are and where you got them.  I will have quite the stash of used once regulators at this point and it is not a tax deduction :-)

This is the regulator that came with my Blackstone Pizza Oven. If I remember correctly it has a 65,000 btu burner. 

reg2.jpg

This is the regulators I have for both my single burner stove (taken off an old gas grill) and my small gas on porch fire pit. I bought these at Ace Hardware. 

reg1.jpg

The blue flame compared to a yellow flame is the size burner in relation to the amount of gas and the amount of air. The regulator itself will only reduce the amount of gas. With all my regulators I can use the red knob to dial  the flame from just barely flickering all the way up to full on. 

• Like 1

Charles, those appear to be 5 and 10psi regulators.  Since Dennis Posted in his "details" description of the burners that a high pressure regulator was necessary I opted for the 15psi and that apparently was not enough to produce blue flame.  So I upped the ante by getting a 0-40psi regulator and got a wee bit more blue but still lots of yellow.  If someone was not here to see the difference they would say there was no difference.  Something is up and last night I took the burner apart to verify I had the correct jet in it.  I do, it is the smaller of the 2 jets provided, the larger orifice jet labeled for Natural Gas use.

So patiently awaiting Dennis and his team to figure out whats wrong.  I am hesitant to totally dismantle the jet system but maybe there is something in the jet from the factory??  BTW, it is a royal pita to get to that jet without a proper wrench that fits into the burner space.

Paul, I looked at that page and I have tried regulators with those pressure ratings.  Something is not quite right and I have been assuming that what came from the factory is good to go; maybe not.

Edited by FotonDrv
  • Like 1

I have a 28 year old set of oxy/ace welding regs and it is so tempting to hook those up to see how a blue flame should be with a rosebud tip, but I digress.  I am sure Dennis will think of something.

"Show me your regulators" should have included a photo of my loving wife who puts up with my hobbies :-)  Skeptical by nature, and for good reason...

IMG_0251.JPG

• Like 3

Stephen, thanks for bringing this topic up. I am interested in the burner, but couldn't find much about it on the forum. I am awaiting the results of your investigation and comments from Dennis.

Syzygies, how do you end up with a "part bottle of wine"? Ours always seem to empty completely...

Jon

Dennis, the jet is in there snd it is the correct jet. It had the smallet hole in it, the larger holed jet is labeled "nat" which I assume is for natural gas. 

I have tried the air mix adjusting disc in all positions snd wide open eorks best but as you can see not great. 

Any other ideas!

I just called Stephen and at this point I've got to assume the jet that we have made up from a brass plug is incorrect.

I'm told we do not install and burn from them or do any QC outside of a simple visual inspection. We're going to go thru the drawer tomorrow and see if we get different results from different jets we have in stock.. 
One of my staff joked that maybe Stephen had bad gas.. What has he been eating?

• Like 1

OK, here is the latest in this quest for blue flame and happy skies.

I was using the LP gas jet in the KK as it should have been.  The jet was clean and not clogged when removed.  It turn out that the spring appears to have been inadvertently affixed to the jet bag since it is the exact spring that goes onto the roti adapters.

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3050.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG

IMG_3054.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

Here it is with the burner top off.

Edited by FotonDrv