FotonDrv

Show Me Your Regulators, please

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

Second video looks like you have it figured out. 

Actually no, look at the top of the burner, it is missing!  It is however a hot, blue and roaring like a jet, so it must have enough pressure but just not a focused flame like the burner holes would provide.  Wonder what the heck is going on.  I tried a different propane bottle too.

Another question regarding the last video.  If the burner seems to work without the restrictions of the top multiple orifices does that mean the pressure/flow of gas could be way to high?

Edited by FotonDrv
adding a question

11 hours ago, FotonDrv said:

Another question regarding the last video.  If the burner seems to work without the restrictions of the top multiple orifices does that mean the pressure/flow of gas could be way to high?

At this point, I'd definitely try the greatly reduced pressure.. We've been selling this cast iron wok burner for over 10 years and can't figure out what is different with yours.  The only problem we ever have is small flames from the low pressure of natural gas.

One of my staff asked if you were near Mexico as he heard that Mexican food can give you bad gas..  He's convinced bad gas must me the problem.. LOL 

Since the 15psi regulator did the same thing and I switched to a 0-40psi regulator I can try the lower gas settings by backing off the prunes and bran :-)  Seriously, I will lower the adjustable regulator as far as possible and work my way up.

I might make a suggestion to you Dennis, list what "High Pressure" that you recommend really is.  5psi,,,10psi,,,15psi greater??  Inquiring minds need to know.

Looks like the standard sold on amazon is 5psi and then they have 10, 20 and 30's. The big cast iron burner sold by Bayou is packaged with the 30psi.

Big Bayou Classic Burner

Could be it needed 10-12 and we started at 15 and blew our blue away..  We have 10 of the exact burners burning around the factory without a hitch so it could be a Murphy's law prevails situation, where we assumed up was the direction we needed to go..

Good luck. I'm really clueless here and keeping my fingers crossed.  

Since the 15psi regulator did the same thing and I switched to a 0-40psi regulator I can try the lower gas settings by backing off the prunes and bran :-)  Seriously, I will lower the adjustable regulator as far as possible and work my way up.

I might make a suggestion to you Dennis, list what "High Pressure" that you recommend really is.  5psi,,,10psi,,,15psi greater??  Inquiring minds need to know.

Dennis, this is the regulator that I am currently using.  Apparently it can go from 0-40.  https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-5HPR-40-Adjustable-Regulator/dp/B0033JF0GE/ref=pd_sim_86_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=63KCSJ6EZCDKZ8ZSCK9D

I can see that others have been using regulators that are NOT high pressure and doing so successfully.  So, when I turn down my "High pressure" monster here are some of the flames I get.

The photos of the burner cap on with a low flame are with the regulator turned down as low as it goes.  The photo with the burner cap off are with the pressure turned up but not max.

IMG_3062.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

IMG_3065.JPG

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3064.JPG

IMG_3066.JPG

IMG_3063.JPG

Edited by FotonDrv

3 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

No for preheating the grill in cold weather..

I would of thought this was for lighting the charcoal too or just using it without charcoal ...so if you are in cold weather you would recommend getting this and why ????

Edited by Stile88

The burner heat soaks the KK fairly quickly.  The only time I tried to cook when the burner was in the machine I had the KK heat soaked and the burner shut off with only the Cold Smoker going into the KK.  I was cooking some pork chops that came out great with the maple smoke.

The gas burner produces a very wet heat and I can honestly say that if you just want to light the charcoal the best way is a mapp gas torch.  By using a torch to light the coals you can like a small amount or a large amount at your choice of positions in the KK AND as many lumps as you wish.  With the big burner you would have no choice, just a big flame lighting everything.

The problem with the burner as a lighter is that it only works if you are lighting the whole basket for high temp cooking. Charcoal only burns down so if you want an extended burn you need to light the top of your fuel. For cooking, you loose all the advantages of the grill because you suddenly have high airflow and when you burn propane the exhaust is full of water vapor too..

If you want to do a low and slow cook at let's say 235ºf and it's below zero the volume of charcoal needed to heat soak the grill in a reasonable amount of time would be much more than you need for 235º.. You would heat soak and scream right past up into the 300's.  
Another way to do it is to use an old school sheet metal charcoal starter.  First try filling it 2/3's of the way,  light it and set it on a drip pan sitting on your charcoal basket. Let it rage in your grill until it's heat soaked.. then pour the remaining charcoal into the charcoal basket set your chimney, put in your food and cook.. You will want by trial and error to end up with only a large orange volume of burning charcoal remaining in the starter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mameola said:

I have this burner on the way. Was this issue ever resolved?

Not yet.  I can tell you what regulators I have tried that didn't work properly.  a 0-40 psi from Bayou and a "red cap" "high pressure" fixed regulator for a Weber or any generic BBQ grill (can't remember who made it).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FotonDrv said:

Not yet.  I can tell you what regulators I have tried that didn't work properly.  a 0-40 psi from Bayou and a "red cap" "high pressure" fixed regulator for a Weber or any generic BBQ grill (can't remember who made it).

@FotonDrv Thanks for the response. I'll be sure to follow this to it's conclusion.

Are you getting the feeling this this is an isolated issue with your burner or have you gotten feedback that this might be more involved?

1 hour ago, mameola said:

@FotonDrv Thanks for the response. I'll be sure to follow this to it's conclusion.

Are you getting the feeling this this is an isolated issue with your burner or have you gotten feedback that this might be more involved?

I think it is just me not getting the best regulator for the job.  I can get a real roaring blue flame easily with the burner top off as witnessed in my video showing the same so somewhere there has to be a happy medium that the burner will work with.  I am suspecting a 0-30 psi regulator might work, but at this point it is speculation; taking my dog to the vet took president over buying another regulator.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I hope it was a routine or scheduled visit. Give your dog a 'get well soon' treat from me.

Sort of routine, nail clip and allergy check.  The poor girl seems to have allergies and has been given injections for month (weekly) and yet it is not proving to help.  I will give it 1 yr and call it quits because it is not fun for her or me.  This photo is of her at 72 pounds, now she is 85.

Meanwhile the burner saga will continue.

IMG_2269.JPG

• Like 1