4wood7

Setting up our New 22" Hi-Cap Table Top

6 hours ago, 4wood7 said:

Hoping to get my KK down to about 165-170 degrees. Wish me luck . Any pointers welcome............I thank nk I could use some.

Never tried that low of a temp before but if I did......................use a super high quality lump charcoal,  light well in one spot, super control the vent settings and let the temp raise very slowly. 

Maybe CoCo Char?????? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Never tried that low of a temp before but if I did......................use a super high quality lump charcoal,  light well in one spot, super control the vent settings and let the temp raise very slowly. 

Maybe CoCo Char?????? 

Agreed. Probably going to have to lite a golf ball size piece of charcoal. Do you have the cold smoke generator?

• Like 1

I did this on the KJ Classic a while back and didn't have a problem keeping it low. The KK should be easier. It is a bit of a challenge for a second cook, though.

I used half a starter block (Rutland) and lit in the middle. On the KJ, my lower vent was maybe at 1/2" and the daisy wheel about half open, maybe a bit more.

A few things to remember:

Grate temperature is lower than the dome temp and most importantly, DON'T PEEK. Once you get your temp, get the salmon on as quick as you can so the lid doesn't stay open for long, then trust the KK to get back to your stable temp. Only open that lid when absolutely necessary (to base on a final glaze or to pull the completed cook).

I'm still planning the same cook tomorrow. @Aussie Oras suggested vent settings sound like a great starting point.

• Like 1

Looks great.. I knew that would work well for you.  Please always cook with the latch in the 2nd position and store in the first position.  
To target a low temp.. best to light a very small volume (about a duck egg volume burning) use the smallest hole on the dial and open the damper top until it spins freely now slowly close the top until it touches the gasket.. now move one of the ears only 1/8-1/4".. That's it.. as long as air is escaping you are good to go.. Start early and wait for it to slowly climb.. and Please do not open the grill to peek.  

• Like 2

Fantastic cooker. It looks beautiful and the setting is awesome. You must be very pleased.

Any update on how your Salmon cook. I haven't received my KK 32 yet but I plan on doing a lot of very low temp smoking with it. Mostly homemade sausage and salmon but I'll also be cold smoking cheese as well but that of course is done with the cold smoker. 

I'm just wondering if you were successful at keeping the temp at or near 165.

20 minutes ago, mameola said:

Fantastic cooker. It looks beautiful and the setting is awesome. You must be very pleased.

Any update on how your Salmon cook. I haven't received my KK 32 yet but I plan on doing a lot of very low temp smoking with it. Mostly homemade sausage and salmon but I'll also be cold smoking cheese as well but that of course is done with the cold smoker. 

I'm just wondering if you were successful at keeping the temp at or near 165.

I smoked some bacon at around this temp one time. It was pretty much like Dennis described above. Light a single spot with a MAPP torch, top damper barely cracked open, and I recall using the cold smoker at the lowest flow setting with all of the lower vents closed. 

• Like 1

I forgot to post about my salmon cook... and I'm old, and it's been a rough week at work, so I don't remember all of the details...

I used the Char Broil lump for the first time and thought it did well.

I lit one starter cube in the middle and set the bottom vent to a sliver and for the top I pushed one of the tabs probably less than a quarter turn. I probably could have gone less than that and been fine.

I got it to settle at 190 dome and let it run like that for about an hour before I put on the salmon. 

It ran fine for about 1:45, then started to climb. I dialed the top back a bit, but by the 2.5 hour mark, it was up to 210. Not a huge deal.

I put on my glaze and dialed back the top again and closed the bottom a little more. I think I pulled it about 20 minutes later and it came out great. 

A bit dry around the edges, but I think the brine causes most of that. It felt dry when I took it out of the brine.

After I pulled the fish off, I took off the bottom door and spun the top a few turns open to burn off the fish oil on the grates. It only took about 4 minutes to get the dome to 700. I closed everything down and walked away.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cschaaf said:

I forgot to post about my salmon cook... and I'm old, and it's been a rough week at work, so I don't remember all of the details...

I used the Char Broil lump for the first time and thought it did well.

I lit one starter cube in the middle and set the bottom vent to a sliver and for the top I pushed one of the tabs probably less than a quarter turn. I probably could have gone less than that and been fine.

I got it to settle at 190 dome and let it run like that for about an hour before I put on the salmon. 

It ran fine for about 1:45, then started to climb. I dialed the top back a bit, but by the 2.5 hour mark, it was up to 210. Not a huge deal.

I put on my glaze and dialed back the top again and closed the bottom a little more. I think I pulled it about 20 minutes later and it came out great. 

A bit dry around the edges, but I think the brine causes most of that. It felt dry when I took it out of the brine.

After I pulled the fish off, I took off the bottom door and spun the top a few turns open to burn off the fish oil on the grates. It only took about 4 minutes to get the dome to 700. I closed everything down and walked away.

@cschaafThanks for the detailed feedback and I'm happy to hear your cook went well.

With the results I'm going to be looking for, while smoking sausage and bacon it's important not to go over 165 or the fat will start to render. I'm sure with some trial and error I'll get it figured out.  Since @HalfSmoke had success with his bacon,  I'll start with his method.

On 2/2/2017 at 9:36 PM, 4wood7 said:

Thank you all for your replays , Saturday Smoked Salmon 1st try. 

Hoping to get my KK down to about 165-170 degrees. Wish me luck . Any pointers welcome............I thank nk I could use some.

4wood7,

I am doing my research on the KK.  I have been perusing these forums watching for someone who has a KK in the valley. You’re the first person I have run across. While your post is several months old now, I hope you will see mine.

I live in Chandler. I’m wondering if there is a chance we could meet so I could see a KK in action. I certainly appreciate any consideration.

Thanks, in advance.