bosco

Do I need 2 Kamado Cookers (A post for those asking)

The simple answer.... yes you do!

I see this type of post come up all the time on various forums that I am a member on.  Over on the BBQ brethren, if you own less than one cooker you seem to be odd.  Some people have duplicates of weber kettles, off set smokers etc etc.... but when it comes to the Kamado, it seems like people are hesitant to accept this fact.  

Why the stigma?

I can only assume because of their cost people tend to balk at the notion of owning multiple cookers.  Or perhaps because the kamado is sold as the swiss army knife of BBQ, there is a belief that it is the only cooker that you will ever need.  

Why would you consider another kamado?

The kamado is a great cooker and you can in fact live with just one.  They do an amazing job on about anything that you cook on.  Dennis improves this singular ownership by providing three levels of grilling.  But lets face the facts here for a moment. How often do we actually do multi level cooks?  I love the lower grate but use it to stick a pan or foil for a low and slow etc.  The upper grate only gets action when I am baking.  

I use the main grate 95% of the time and its because that is what everyone is use to.  Single level grilling.  When you buy a gas bbq, you get these massive grilling spaces and people have no problem dropping cash on them.  Then when you buy a ceramic, people question the cost, they question the grill size etc.   The debate of bigger is better doesn't even factor in the gas BBQ world, yet in the ceramic world its the age old debate on any potential buyers list.  What size do I need?  

For me, there are three main reasons to buy a second kamado and I really believe that everyone should own one.

1. Space

When I owned only one kamado, I constantly found myself looking for more space.  When we cooked for large parties, I would have to time cooks so that all the food came out at the same time.  Large family dinners, one turkey on the Q and I was relying on the stove.  Once I got a second cooker, I found that one BBQ was like a warming/baking section and the other was cooking the large cuts of meat.  The stove was for gravy and thats about it. Large pool parties I could cook on both and have everything finish at the same time so that I could enjoy my meal with my guests.

2. dual heat cooks

The most important reason I went into the multi kamado cooking game.  With two kamado cookers, I could impress my guests with the traditional combinations of sausages, chicken, ribs, brisket, burgers etc etc. I could do a 250 cook on one while grilling at 375 or preparing pizza at 550 degrees on another.  I was able to showcase my cooking to friends and family and make meals for everyone.  I could also cook seafood on one grill without it contaminating the burgers for the kids on another...

3. As I mentioned earlier, the bigger is better camp always suggests the larger grill.  I started out with an XL kamado and it was massive. More fuel consumption, took long time to heat up and seemed to be a waste to fire for anything like 2 chicken breasts.  Suddenly I find myself looking at what I am cooking for dinner and then selecting the appropriate size for that meal.  This allows me to cook quickly and cost effectively.  

They are show stoppers and true conversation pieces when I have company.  I have helped sell the kamado to about anyone who walks in my backyard.  

I would never do without to Kamado cookers and wanted to tell anyone looking at adding a second unit that it is the best idea!  

• Like 8

Very true Bosco even though I don't have multiple Kamado's I do have multiple cookers.  When I get my first KK, notice I said first KK I will still have my first Kamado style cooker the Akorn Jr along with my Weber Jumbo Joe.  When the weather breaks this spring and I start going camping with friends or canoe trips I will have my Jr and Joe to cook meals, Start a small pork butt for dinner on the Jr and cook breakfast and lunch on the Joe. I actually saw your three black Kamado Joe's on the Kamado Joe forum and said what a great way to cook for your needs.

Garvin

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 11:26 AM, tony b said:

It's a storage unit now for tools and grates! 

I have one of those storage units. It is good at keeping things dry.

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 0:47 PM, ckreef said:

I guess that means you have to own 4 KK's - quadfecta - you'll be the first - LOL 

23 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

If one is good and two is better, then I guess four is twice is better lol

Yeah... I think I'll buy them when each child enters high school. By then I'll have an idea for what color and tile style they like.

But the sizes I want are: Original 23", 32" BB, and the new 42" SBB

I have a 21" Hi-Cap on wheels at the moment that will likely become my primary cold smoker setup when I get a second KK. The Hi-Cap dome design is perfect for using all 3 grill levels at once.

That green thing will eventually be donated to a church when I finally get around to building some decent storage setup for all these accessories.