Garvinque

Storage of yeast in freezer!

While I am new to baking bread I make pizza once or twice a month for the last couple of years, I normally buy the jar yeast and store it in the freezer until needed again. Got this from my mom and she says that it preserves the yeast better and longer. Who else stores their yeast in the freezer?

Garvin

1 hour ago, Garvinque said:

While I am new to baking bread I make pizza once or twice a month for the last couple of years, I normally buy the jar yeast and store it in the freezer until needed again. Got this from my mom and she says that it preserves the yeast better and longer. Who else stores their yeast in the freezer?

Garvin

That's how I've always done it. Works really well.

• Like 1

Last time i bought bread yeast (as opposed to brewer's yeast which I buy routinely as I need it - different strains for different beers), I got a brick from King Arthur. Broke it down into 2 oz bags and vacuum sealed them with the Food Saver. Toss them into the freezer and open one as I need. 

• Like 1

Ok so I order some new yeast today along with a smaller bamboo pizza peel going to start using my Akorn Jr to make 12 inch or smaller pizza's! The yeast I purchase had a perfect 5 stars from 910 reviewer's so I am happy about that and the peel is 12 by 13 inches without handle and 12 by 20 with handle just the right size for the Jr.

Garvin

saf-instant yeast.pngbamboo pizza peel.jpg

Edited by Garvinque
  • Like 1

Ok, had a (friend) over last night and some friends this morning for breakfast, grits, eggs, sausage, and bacon and wanted to make my first bread not Cuban to go with so got up extra early and made a round!  Sorry no cut photos but I can say for sure it was tasty and a nice crusty outer layer and nice interior starting to like this and remember all the good bread my mom had made when I was a kid.    More loaves to come!!!!!!!

Garvin

bbq 003.jpgbbq 004.jpgbbq 005.jpg

Edited by Garvinque
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

Nice! Another bread baker around here!

Sourdough? Hydration? Flour blend? Do tell.

This was my attempted at a Boule and thanks to MacKenzie for suggesting to use a scale!

340 grams lukewarm water

5 grams of yeast

12 grams of kosher salt

455 grams of APF

Made two 1 pound loaves had one for breakfast and sent one home with friends!

Garvin- Super novice baker

Edited by Garvinque
  • Like 1