KevinD

Snake River Farm Brisket

A couple of months ago I took advantage of a Snake River Farms (SRF) sale which I believe was a "buy one get one" on their Wagyu black grade brisket (one level down from their top-notch gold level). I decided to host a family Super Bowl party and started the thaw this last Monday.   This started as a 16.6 lb brisket and I ended up trimming 4.6 lb of surface fat and the huge wedge of fat between the point and flat.   The amount of fat I trimmed was more than I expected to have to trim off of this brisket but, since Wagyu is renowned for heavy marbling, perhaps the amount of fat I trimmed off isn't unreasonable?

Purely out of curiosity I would ask if anyone else has bought and trimmed SRF black label brisket, is my experience consistent with your own experience?  Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Now for the first pictures...

I promise more, including the finish pictures...

IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

• Like 2

Ok, here are the next pictures:

This cook started at 225°F temperature and after @11+hours, now it is coming off @ 170°F for the wrap in pink butcher's paper.  I had started the brisket on the top level grate but decided after a few hours to move it down to the main level grate. The balance of cooking time I estimate to be @4 hours, with with the target temperature @205°F.  

Just a comment on the cooking temperature that I mentioned… It seems that most of the "brisket experts" that I've seen or watched on YouTube, like to cook their brisket at 250°F but the couple that I've done so far at 225°F have turned out wonderfully well.  Perhaps the next one I will cook at 250°F which from the general guidelines I've heard/read, might give me a closer to 12 hour cook time on the Komodo.  For those that are following this, let me say that the time on the Komodo at  225°F  has been approximately 16 hours, followed by at least two hours resting in the cooler thoroughly wrapped to rest.   For us that have the good fortune to be able to cook on a Komodo, it is so easy to keep a stable temperature that the length of time really does not matter.  If you're cooking on something not quite as stable,  that extra four hours of time might be just too much work...

The next picture is more for laughs but it is the platter that I put the brisket on when I brought it in to wrap, and then return to Pele for the finish cook.  I could not resist running a finger through the rendered fat juices and spices that were left behind;  equivalent to getting the last bit of frosting or cookie dough off of the side of the mixing bowl – oh my gosh is it good! I'm sure the end result will be so much better...

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

Edited by KevinD
  • Like 3

I'm very aggressive when I trim briskets, they've always turned out great. Trimming between the muscles allows for more bark, (bark good), and makes it easier to do burnt ends.

Cook temps don't really affect the finished product, the only real difference is cook time. I've cooked from 225°-300°, it really depends on how long I want the cook to take.

Yours is looking great, I think you're gonna be pleased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, from @170°F to  205°F  in about one hour 45 minutes! It finished a couple hours sooner than I expected!  Took it off and it felt limber so I put it in an igloo cooler wrapped in towels (towels protected by foil) and there it will sit for the next four hours.   At that point I will take it out, unwrap it and take the point to make burnt ends.

This one definitely behave differently from my first two and per my comment to Robert, I still have a lot more experience to gain with brisket...

Edited by KevinD

8 hours ago, dstr8 said:

Hope you saved all the fat trimmings to render down for frying top shelf french fries!

8 hours ago, KevinD said:

What is wrong with me???  Never even thought about rendering the fat trimmings !  I will have to make sure to give that a try – Yum! 

Before McDonald's got soft, they used to flash freeze their fries in beef broth! Good looking brisket!!

Garvin

• Like 1

Very tasty and rich...the higher fat content is evident in the texture and flavor; and I was speaking of the flat!  OMg, the point and some of it done up as burnt ends, I've never had better.

I echo Tony's thought, I don't buy SRF unless on sale, and then it is bought and saved for special events.  Worth it if you have the budget to spend it...