mameola

KK 32" - A Change of Heart For The Better

Let me first start by apologizing for the long post but I thought you should know how I got here.   

Yesterday I was in the process of pulling the trigger on a new Primo XL grill but I just couldn’t do it. I decided to first go on-line and read lots of reviews on the Primo XL, as well as the other big name brands on the market. I was thinking I was going to find lots of positives but I quickly found the complete opposite.  Even the four and five star reviewers complained about the porcine cracking within a few months, which led to the poor customer service experiences they had to contend with trying to get the parts replaced under warranty. I found it to be a bit crazy to give a high rating on a product that does not hold up and the customer service is so poor.

In the process of searching for reviews, I ran across the Komodo Kamado website and with the help of the people posting on this forum and the third party reviews I found on the internet, I pulled the trigger on the KK 32” Big Bad. After more research on this  forum and a very pleasant 45-min phone conversation with Dennis Linkletter, I also decided to load up on the accessories. Listed below is what my final bill of materials is looking like. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

• 32" Big Bad, Dark Autumn Nebula (simply beautiful)

• Gas Burner Assembly (for heat soaking during those cold winter day’s in the US Northeast)

• Charcoal Basket Slitter/Reducer

• Single Bottom Drip Pan

• SS & Teak Grate Grabber

• Rod and Tube Teak Side Tables

• Baking/Pizza Stone (love me some homemade bread and pizza)

• Cold Smoker W/Adjustable Air Pump

• Coconut Shell Charcoal – 10-Boxes

• Coffee Wood LUMP Charcoal – 5-Boxes

By the way, I’ve been grilling my entire adult life (30 + years) and this will be my first Kamado style Grill. I have a feeling I’m going to find out that I should have jumped in a long time ago.

I’d also like to say thank you to everyone posting on this site, thank you to Dennis Linkletter for the valuable time you spent with me on the phone and last but not least, thank you to all the positive reviews I found on the other sub-par Kamado grills on the market. Without all of you, I would not be the new owner of a KK 32” Big Bad grill!!!

Now all I can do is sit here wait for the truck to back into my driveway!!!

• Like 9

Congrats and Welcome! 

You're just up the road from me (sort of) and I recently ordered my second KK -- a BB 32 as well. Maybe our KK's will be on the same freight shipment. Great accessory list. Some thoughts:

If it will be sitting in the open, get a sunbrella cover.

Consider getting the rotisserie -- at least the spit rod if not the basket.

Also, I don't have the gas burner. Most people don't. Don't think you really need it. Maybe swap it out for the roti?

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1

jumping in with both feet is what you did.  You will not beat the quality and finish of a KK.  Owning a 23 and a 32, I will say that you made an excellent investment!

I would never disrespect any other brand, however, with that said... the Big three as I like to call them (KJ, BGE, Primo) are good grills.  They are not great though and all have their issues.  As a person who use to own 6 KJs, I will say that you "done good". 

• Like 1

mameola,  Congratulations!!!!

I still own 2 Primo grills and while they are decent cooking machines,  I have had to replace a fire box in each and re-weld a couple cooking grates.   That is not going to happen with my KK.  

My 19" TT KK is replacing my Primo Jr. and I plan to buy a new 42" KK to replace the Primo XL.    The Primo's are going to my son-in-laws until I croak and they get the KK's.

You made a very wise decision in my humble opinion.  Your 32" KK will give you all the benefits of the Primo oval shape plus a lifetime of cooking without any quality issues.

Hope it arrives soon!!!!!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Obsession!! Excellent story about your quest. And, unlike some of us, you didn't go down the wrong path initially with an inferior grill (a POSK in my case). 

I live in Iowa, which probably gets colder than Maryland and I don't see the need for the gas option. (In fact, I'm waiting on Dennis to make available the new rear door with threaded rods to screw it closed permanently with some red Loctite.) There are times when it wiggles loose over time, letting in unwanted airflow, and being in the back of the grill you don't pay attention to it very often.  What happens is that you think you've shut it down for the night and enough air leaks in the backdoor to keep the fire going. Next time you open up the grill to cook - all your charcoal has burned up.

Seriously consider the Sunbrella cover and rotisserie accessories (I'd get both the basket and the spit rod.) You have to order the motor separately from One Grill.

Lastly, great choice of color!

New Grill sunshine.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome to the forum and the KK community. I really appreciate it.

Just to follow up. I took the advice of many of you and added the rotisserie and the Sunbrella to my order.

I initially opted out of the rotisserie because I had one and I never used it. I changed my mind because of the many recommendations to get it. Now I'm going to make a concerted effort to use it. If I don't like it, I don't like it. If I do like it then all the better.

As for the Sunbrella, the reason I initially opted out of this option was because my KK 32 will be sitting under my 20' x 30' pavilion. But then, after reading all of your responses, I got to thinking about it and started realizing that every time I use the pavilion the granite is so dirty that we have to hose everything down and scrub it clean. So now my though is, if keep the KK 32 covered, I can avoid this issue. As Forest Gump would say...One Less Thing

Thanks again for all of the advice. Once the truck hits the driveway, the picture taking will begin. Since everything is in stock in CA, I'm hoping that will be in the next two weeks:)

Mike

• Like 2

Aussie Ora: You are correct. Three of the corners of the pavilion roof are supported by wrapped 4" steel posts simulating wooden columns and the other corner is supported by the top of a brick oven. Under the pavilion is a stone bordered concrete patio.

Once I get some pics of the grill being put in place, I'll be sure to include some of the pavilion and post them.

• Like 1

Nobody suggested getting more charcoal? Get more charcoal. They are both great. The coco char is really good for those long low temp cooks and the coffee char has a wonderful flavor. It is relatively inexpensive to order them now to come with the grill. Later, you pretty much have to get a full pallet to make it cost effective.

I've had my 23" kk since July last year and really enjoy it. The only time my pellet grill and weber gets used is by my brother in law because he feels bad for them not being used. :-P

Congratulations, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

Aussie Ora: You are correct. Three of the corners of the pavilion roof are supported by wrapped 4" steel posts simulating wooden columns and the other corner is supported by the top of a brick oven. Under the pavilion is a stone bordered concrete patio.
Once I get some pics of the grill being put in place, I'll be sure to include some of the pavilion and post them.

That sounds like a great spot for your new KK out of the elements

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill