DennisLinkletter

OctoForks New Twist on a Roti Shaft

21 minutes ago, Steve M said:

Put everything together this morning. Here is the box with packing removed.

I purchased two pair (leap of faith). No leftover parts unlike most of my projects.

I have two chicken halves marinating for some roadside chicken. I'm not sure whether to use half a pair (one on each end) or put them between a pair. I'm leaning towards the former and tying them on just to make sure they don't fall off.

I can see how you could really load up the grill with these. I have a few things in the fridge that I may do just that.

Steve this is how I did halves but now that I  have the bands I'd try putting  holding it on with those and not need the other half.   So if you did it that way you could get away with 1 pair for the two halves....or both pairs and not use the bands

OBTW I did some more quarters today....DEFINITELY sold on rotisserie for them. They taste sooooo good this way!

Edited by Keith OctoForks
  • Like 1

Still waiting on my bands but I thought I might use some kitchen twine in the meantime. I have some baste I want to use and it would make things a lot simpler.

I noticed on some earlier pictures that you often used half a pair with nothing holding the meat on. Does this generally work out favorably? I have some other things like sausage I want to throw on them.

10 minutes ago, Steve M said:

Still waiting on my bands but I thought I might use some kitchen twine in the meantime. I have some baste I want to use and it would make things a lot simpler.

I noticed on some earlier pictures that you often used half a pair with nothing holding the meat on. Does this generally work out favorably? I have some other things like sausage I want to throw on them.

If it's something where the spit rod is going through there's never a worry but if it's something just on the claws themselves I play it by ear but I knew the chicken quarters needed the bands.  Things like ribs, roasts etc...  1/2 pair has done fine.

Now I've done sausages like these hotdogs (except not doubled up) and they did good and I've done rope sausage where I cut them into 8 sections and put one on each time longways....Oh and that was tasty!

Hotdogs.jpg

• Like 1

Just finished eating from the octoforks cook. All in all, it was fairly successful. I think the great thing about them is you could really load up the grill. I think I could have easily done 4 chickens on my 23". The thing I had difficulty with was keeping the food on the forks. The chicken was tied on so it was secure and the sausages held on pretty well. The vegetables were a different story. I loaded up half a pair with mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes and I lost nearly all of them to the fire. Here are some pics.

IMG_7336.JPG

I had some bacon on the far left for a salad. It actually held up pretty well; that was the food I was most worried about. On the far right, the forks were loaded up with vegetables when I started. It didn't take long to lose most of them.

IMG_0613.JPG

Sausages and what was left of the mushrooms done and plated.

IMG_5641.JPGIMG_7374.JPGIMG_9402.JPG

The chicken was really tasty. I really like the roadhouse chicken recipe. 

I am thinking I will prefer these to the traditional setup for the rotisserie . The main advantages as I see them are at least doubling the capacity of food and it is also easier getting the food on and off of the rotisserie. I did have a few casualties losing food into the fire so it is probably a matter of choosing wisely. I am sure Keith can chip in with some tips.

IMG_7945.JPG

• Like 3

Looks really good!   Yes a tip for veggies be to have the tines facing each other.  I did this for kabobs once

My favorite way to do veggies now is with the skewers that bolt on but they won't be out for a little while.   Oh I've heard GREAT things on the roadside chicken....Gotta try that soon!

P1040621.JPG

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steve M said:

That is what I call loaded up lol

IIRC it was about 5 feet worth of kabobs. It was a little tedious feeding them all on but awful fun to watch spin! lol  I spread out the claws and used regular forks on the inside for some extra capacity. Those kabobs fed quite a few hungry people.   

You cooked bacon on there? LOL  That's awesome, I'd like to see how you did it.  There's so many variations you definitely won't get bored.  I bet you could have enough clearance to do 4 racks of ribs, and they'll cook  much faster.  Wait till you try things like rib roast vertically,  and pork loins.  You'll fit more on of course but won't see the hole going through the middle either when slicing.   It's pretty nice being able to only have the spit rod go through the skinny part of meats vs through the whole length.

Your chicken looks great and I can understand about the veggies as they cook they will soften up and tend to move around on the tines which means they loosen up and fall off. Keith has them all jammed up with no place to go as they cook. Lots of learning and tons of fun doing it. :) :smt023:smt023:coffee2:

What was your grill temperature?

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Skewers sound very interesting. :) 

That was my thinking. Where this system will really shine is with the add-ons Keith has planned -- skewers, baskets, etc. In the meantime, might be fun to try vertically spinning a lasagna. 

:shock:

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Your chicken looks great and I can understand about the veggies as they cook they will soften up and tend to move around on the tines which means they loosen up and fall off. Keith has them all jammed up with no place to go as they cook. Lots of learning and tons of fun doing it. :) :smt023:smt023:coffee2:

What was your grill temperature?

It was hanging at 375.