DennisLinkletter

OctoForks New Twist on a Roti Shaft

17 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Might just as well order them, Tony, I think you will get lots of use from them over the summer. :)  Keith told me to say that.:smt077

Is MacKenzie starting trouble again? :-D  ;)    Nah I just can't see it. lol 

Yes I agree. There's a ton you can do with just the OctoForks....You're only limited by your imagination!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keith OctoForks said:

What kind of basket were you thinking of?   I'm going to add some other basket options on the website today or tomorrow. 

OK then, I'll wait a couple more days to see what's new before placing the order. Thanks for the update, Keith!

There goes that MacKenzie again!! :-D

• Like 1

Thanks, Keith. Saw the 2 new ones - the big basket is too close to Dennis', which I already have (so don't need 2) and the tumble basket (I made one last year out of 1/4" wire mesh fabric to roast Hatch chile peppers), so I'm good there, too. Quick question - will Dennis' 5/16" hex shaft work with the SS Flat Basket? That's the one that seems like I'd use more. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tony b said:

Thanks, Keith. Saw the 2 new ones - the big basket is too close to Dennis', which I already have (so don't need 2) and the tumble basket (I made one last year out of 1/4" wire mesh fabric to roast Hatch chile peppers), so I'm good there, too. Quick question - will Dennis' 5/16" hex shaft work with the SS Flat Basket? That's the one that seems like I'd use more. 

Yes Tony the flat works great with the 5/16" rod.   It didn't used too but now is excellent thanks to a fix they did.   I was the lucky recipient of testing out the new flat basket fix and gotta say it rocks.   

Hello @Keith OctoForks.  I get the feeling that I need some octoforks in my life.  What would you recommend for a newbie?  A couple of pairs?  Do you yet have the kabob fittings?  Couldn't see them on the website if so.  My dad is due over in the US next month so I am planning to get him a spare case to load up on BBQ stuff for me!

To close this one out:  on @MacKenzie's advice, I contacted Keith direct through the octoforks website.  He was very helpful and I am now the proud owner of two pairs of octoforks and some roti baskets.  I hadn't really considered the latter until I saw what you can do with fish in the flat baskets.  I also think it would be kind of fun, at least once, to spin a bunch of chicken wings in the big basket to see how they come out.  I'll make sure I am not on cleaning duty that day!

6 hours ago, tekobo said:

I'll make sure I am not on cleaning duty that day!

All I can say is PBW - Powdered Brewers Wash! The stuff is magic for getting your rotisserie baskets clean. Here's a pic that I posted previously showing the results of soaking in PBW. Just a quick wipe down with a wet sponge and you can see the difference in the wash and unwashed ends.

20161230_140228.thumb.jpg.ee0b664a3ba0241520a45a41b42c0192.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks @tony b.  That clean looks amazing.  Made me wonder what it would do to my fingers!  I have looked PBW up and it is available on amazon.co.uk.  Will give it a spin.

I forgot to say: Keith said the kabob (kebab to us in the UK) fittings were put on hold but should be available in 2018.

9 hours ago, tekobo said:

I forgot to say: Keith said the kabob (kebab to us in the UK) fittings were put on hold but should be available in 2018.

Waiting with bated breath. 

I thought you could get PBW in the UK. If the price becomes prohibitive, there are "clone" recipes out there to make up the stuff yourself from OxyClean, Unscented Laundry Detergent (like 7th Generation) and Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) - if it's not banned where you live. 

Edited by tony b

Yes, there were feedback posts on the amazon website saying how it was cheaper to make alternatives to PBW.  But they also said that PBW as the thing to have if you could afford it.  I'll focus on finding it as cheaply as I can and wearing gloves when I use it!

Given you are also waiting for a MEATER block and given air is needed to sustain life, I recommend you go easy on the bated breath thing.  

It's not so caustic to need gloves for minimal contact. If you work in a brewery and are using many gallons of the stuff to clean large tanks, then proper gear is called for. I rarely wear gloves working with it in my home brewing set up to clean equipment. Just stay within the recommended concentrations. 

btw - I have a single MEATER probe, but not waiting on the Block, so I have some breath to spare - LOL!! 

• Haha 1

I like using it on rotisserie cooks mainly. Occasionally, I have trouble with it synching up to my phone, but after a couple of attempts, it finally does. I've learned not to pay much attention to the "time remaining in cook" part, as it's squirrelly. Just watch the internal meat temp like you would on any thermometer. Meater claims that they have a new, updated release of the app software about to be pushed out, so hopefully they've improved this algorithm. 

Another thing that I discovered - if you put the probe in the meat perpendicular to the axis of rotation, as the meat cooks, drippings run down the probe and burn on the end, which really throws off the "ambient temperature" reading and the "time remaining in cook" calculation, as well. First time it happened to me, I panicked, as the ambient temperature reading starting dropping like a rock and I'd thought that my fire had gone out! But, when I looked at the dome thermometer, things looked OK. When I opened the KK to take a look, there was a big blob of burnt stuff on the end of the probe. Wiped most of it off with a wet sponge and things went back to normal for the rest of the cook. So, make sure you stick the probe into the meat as close to parallel to the rotisserie shaft as you can.

• Like 1