Aussie Ora

Smoking pot

Well he's wrong and he didn't put the holes in the right spot, no one told him to put on the bottom side of pot but to put on the bottom of the pot. And where's his science degree because there is science for this!!! Sorry I hate people who will go out their way to discredit something and they didn't properly use the pot in the way it was intended.

Garvin

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Garvinque said:

Well he's wrong and he didn't put the holes in the right spot, no one told him to put on the bottom side of pot but to put on the bottom of the pot. And where's his science degree because there is science for this!!! Sorry I hate people who will go out their way to discredit something and they didn't properly use the pot in the way it was intended.

Garvin

Yes, he goes out of his way to say he understands it, but then purposely mis-uses it (holes on side, high heat) and then goes on to discredit. Then he presents his own video with a different solution (surprise surprise). Nowhere does he do an actual test of the concept the way it's intended to be used. I respect John and the *good* info he's captured and made available. I found his forum useful when I first bought a Kamado Joe because of the overwhelming number of KJ'ers there. But I find myself increasingly migrating away from the Guru. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

(holes on side, high heat)

Yes, I have a firm rule to not use my smoke pot above 275 F (210 F to 240 F is ideal).

To further confuse the thread title, a cast iron smoke pot may be the "Firefly 2" of the barbecue world: Half the people who've tried it love it, the other half can't manage to get smoke out of it. I light my low & slow fires with a weed burner, taking special care to heat the underside of the smoke pot itself, and I've never had a problem.

• Like 3

From what I've seen, those who have used it as intended -- both here and at Amazing Ribs (where it is also quite popular) -- have had good success with it. Those who are panning it have departed from the recipe or not tried it at all. It's like those people at AllRecipes.com that rate a recipe 1-star, and then write in their review that they substituted 6 of the ingredients, cooked at the wrong temp using the wrong technique, and it sucked!

• Like 4

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/33188-smoker-pot-and-good-vs-bad-smoke/#comment-437704

well i have no idea what has prompted him to drill on the side and not the bottom he kind of creates his own facts shall we call the johns alternative fact on a smoker pot lol

Edited by Stile88
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stile88 said:

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/33188-smoker-pot-and-good-vs-bad-smoke/#comment-437704

well i have no idea what has prompted him to drill on the side and not the bottom he kind of creates his own facts shall we call the johns alternative fact on a smoker pot lol

Even more curious is that he says it stopped working once the fire moved from under the pot, but then goes on to say it would work best if you put the pot *under* the fire basket...where there is no fire. Huh? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Garvinque said:

The thing about this is he is giving out the wrong information on how this works!!

Garvin

Yup! Like @tony b said^^^^.

If this was a young engineer on one of my project teams doing such shoddy work, they'd at least be "counseled" (in White House speak), if not drummed out of the corp. That it's John propagating this nonsense on his own site...it just validates my earlier post about forums and terrorist cells being related.

• Like 2