bosco

Vietnamese spring rolls

I have not but I will gladly give it to you.

I use a 2:1 ratio of hoisin sauce to natural peanut butter.  Don't use sugar based peanut butter as it tastes off

So basically 1/4 cup of natural peanut butter and 1/2 cup of hoisin sauce

mix in 1 tbsp of seasoned rice vinegar 

and add water to get your desired thickness

then crumble some unsalted peanuts.  I don't like the salted peanuts as the hoisin sauce has enough salt 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dstr8 said:

I recently made some using whole grain-ish wrappers.   Won't be doing that again :D

I do believe I heard a cringe when you Posted this!

I get some very good Vietnamese food and dearly love these with hoisin and peanuts and vinegar/or lime and sriracha sauce all mixed.

IMG_1936.JPG

• Like 3

Cha gio (no accent marks assigned) is the "spring roll" without rice paper wrapping.  It uses the potsticker style wraps that are grainy.  Generally they have the contents ground up before wrapping and sealing in their cocoon for frying.

Goi cuon (no accents since this machine won't do it) is the "Spring roll" that is NOT fried and always wrapped in thin rice paper wraps.  The contents have thin rice noodles as a base for the contents along with a vegetable thinly sliced, like cucumbers and carrots, and a little meat like shrimp or pork w/fat.

The Hoisin sauce based dipping sauce is one way to go and the fish sauce based dipping sauce is another.  I horrified my wife when I requested mam ruoc (again no accents!) as a base sauce.  A lot more flavor although pretty stinky :-)

• Like 1

Not as bad ss mam ruoc!

A place you DON NOT WANT TO BE is the sauces isle in an asian supermarket during an earthquake.  The potential for big stink is everywhere and every dog and cat in the neighborhood would be following you.

Edited by FotonDrv
added text
  • Like 3