Aussie Ora

Peach wood

13 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

Everyone knows Bosco loves it lol its been rare as hens teeth for me but things are changing for the better . Have you tried it on beef

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

I wouldn't use peach on beef, but that's just me. Peach is very light and I think beef needs something more to stand up to the beefiness. I like oak or pecan for beef.

Peach is great on pork and chicken, though.

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1

I wouldn't use peach on beef, but that's just me. Peach is very light and I think beef needs something more to stand up to the beefiness. I like oak or pecan for beef.

Peach is great on pork and chicken, though.

Was thinking that to be the case apple ,pear ,peach pork but love experimenting might give it a go I cooked for ages on justl lump since I've been able to get hold of some wood pecan ,cherry ,apple ,pear I've noticed how each impart a flavor I've done beef with apple and it tasted teriffic .I think not growing up on smoking wood so to say I notice the difference more.but will get some pork first lol

3 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

Was thinking that to be the case apple ,pear ,peach pork but love experimenting might give it a go I cooked for ages on justl lump since I've been able to get hold of some wood pecan ,cherry ,apple ,pear I've noticed how each impart a flavor I've done beef with apple and it tasted teriffic .I think not growing up on smoking wood so to say I notice the difference more.but will get some pork first lol

Ribs with peach -- perfect combo. Nothing wrong with experimenting, though.

I've heard some claim that there is no difference in flavor imparted by different woods. They say the only variable is the smoke intensity. Adam Perry Lang claims this in his awesome book "Serious Barbecue", and I've seen John Setzler repeat this over at the guru (part of why I think he dismisses the smoke pot). As much as I respect Adam Perry Lang, I don't find this to be correct. Yes, smoke intensity is part of it, but flavor is part of it too. Chemically speaking, anything you smell is due to molecules of that thing sensed by your nose and processed by your brain. Those same molecules stick to the meat and are sensed by your tongue. If you can smell a difference, you can probably taste a difference too. Smoke is a seasoning. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

Ribs with peach -- perfect combo. Nothing wrong with experimenting, though.

I've heard some claim that there is no difference in flavor imparted by different woods. They say the only variable is the smoke intensity. Adam Perry Lang claims this in his awesome book "Serious Barbecue", and I've seen John Setzler repeat this over at the guru (part of why I think he dismisses the smoke pot). As much as I respect Adam Perry Lang, I don't find this to be correct. Yes, smoke intensity is part of it, but flavor is part of it too. Chemically speaking, anything you smell is due to molecules of that thing sensed by your nose and processed by your brain. Those same molecules stick to the meat and are sensed by your tongue. If you can smell a difference, you can probably taste a difference too. Smoke is a seasoning. 

I completely agree. A great example is Dennis's coffee char that has an extremely unique and satisfying flavor imo. I love it with tritip.

• Like 2

Not used it myself, but Fruita Wood does carry orange and nectarine, if folks are curious to try it. 

My standards are peach, apple, cherry on pork or chicken, in pairings with pecan, maple, or hickory. Beef is mesquite, bourbon barrel, post oak or pecan - usually in some combination.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, tony b said:

Not used it myself, but Fruita Wood does carry orange and nectarine, if folks are curious to try it. 

My standards are peach, apple, cherry on pork or chicken, in pairings with pecan, maple, or hickory. Beef is mesquite, bourbon barrel, post oak or pecan - usually in some combination.

That's one of the things I'm hoping to see more of at the new Dizzy Pig HQ when they open -- Fruita Wood. The current, small store carries it, but not much variety. Hoping their bigger space has a full Fruita selection.

• Like 2

Good deal. But, their shipping charges aren't too bad.

I buy from them a couple of times a year. I used to follow their advice and stored the fruit woods in the veggie bins in the bottom of my beer fridge, but I've kinda stopped doing that. I haven't noticed a big drop in aroma, but the wood has been stored in my garage where it's been colder than fridge temps until this week. 

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, Steve M said:

Anyone used citrus wood? I was at an amazing steak house in Tampa last week that uses it to grill their steaks. They guy giving us a tour didn't know which type of citrus.

Was this Charlie's?  They put out wonderful meals.