Aussie Ora

Things are looking good

Tony, question for you. I have a randall in my home pub and was thinking of running a beer through some whole or very coarsely crushed pepperberries. I have run a gose through serrano peppers before and a blonde ale through habaneros. Any idea what beer would pair well with the pepperberries?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If you Google pepper berry beer there are a few out there or try searching pepper berry beer rcipies

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

I got home today and had a package waiting! One kilo of dried whole pepperberries! I decided to go ahead and eat a whole pepperberry and was quite surprised by the initial flavor followed by a really spicy burn. I split the kilo into 11 - 2oz and 2 - 5oz vacuum bags and kept about an ounce out to use starting with dinner tonight. I also took about 10 berries, crushed them and put them in a jar with vodka to make a pepperberry vodka. I will try that in a week or so.eb06c76dbf4dff659a692c1ce4adb57e.jpg5b757e9358a317020bc3a0c1f35c625c.jpg39a17b420dcf66ce2a782d343ad0f473.jpg212c614d33cf643434608e652de45cf4.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/13/2017 at 4:58 PM, Keith B said:

Tony, question for you. I have a randall in my home pub and was thinking of running a beer through some whole or very coarsely crushed pepperberries. I have run a gose through serrano peppers before and a blonde ale through habaneros. Any idea what beer would pair well with the pepperberries?

Just got home yesterday afternoon from Homebrew Con in Minneapolis. AWESOME. Next year is in Portland, OR. You should definitely try and go, Keith! 

Given the taste of these pepperberries, I was thinking of making a mead with them (technically a Metheglin) for our Club's mead challenge. As far as a beer goes, I don't think you want to use up that many berries in your randall, so I think "dry hopping" would be the way to go - and probably only an ounce (or less) in a 5 gal batch. I'd try a big DIPA and use grassy/herbal hops (Columbus, Nugget, or Warrior). Given how well these berries pair with the lemon myrtle herb, maybe toss in some Sorachi Ace? The new New Zealand varieties might pair well, too - Waimea, Wakatu, or Wai-iti - which are all citrusy. Would be fitting seeing as you're using Tasmania peppercorns. Lots of fun ideas in my head now!!  

• Like 2