dozer996

Wagyu Cook

We have a local butcher that carries Snake River Farms Wagyu and I've been eye balling their Tri-Tips.

Picked one up today, though it was a bit of a hassle...the butcher was super hesitant to show me all of his Tri-Tips. He had 2 in his display case and I asked if I could see the rest he has so I could pick the one I wanted. He gave me about every excuse in the book why every roast is the same, blah blah...he had the nerve to ask why I was giving him a hard time, I reminded him I was the customer and wanted to pick from what he had. After going back and forth with him I settled for this 2.5lb roast from the display case. He gave me the guilt trip that he would go get them, I was done with him by then. Rant over, it just rubbed me the wrong way when I'm paying $80 for a roast and wanted to survey the amount of marbling each roast had.

More shots coming tonight

90101aea07f37660aa2dc3cbc298c7ca.jpg

aeb0cb9f6d8ad7147d0b7cd76a3f3ef1.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent job on the Tri-tip! 

Not had any experience with Wagyu briskets, only steaks. Given that comparison (Wagyu vs Prime ribeyes), I'd have to venture that Wagyu brisket is a noticeable improvement over Prime. Like Aaron Franklin says - "Always get the highest quality meat you can afford." 

Glad to see that you held your ground with that butcher. What a D-bag! 

• Like 1

As a butcher myself I'm appalled at the grief the guy gave you. Did you see the label that says it was from SNF? From experience I've seen some Wagyu Beef that looked no better than some of the prime beef I sell. That being said this looks fantastic! One note, did you cut the tri tip in half for easier slicing? As I'm sure you know of the 90 degree rule for slicing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Those of you that have experience with Wagyu, are the briskets that much better than the USDA Prime briskets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First hand experience, WAY better than any USDA Prime I've seen. They come off the grill/smoker jiggling like a piece of jello! And that's without any injection!

• Like 2

As a butcher myself I'm appalled at the grief the guy gave you. Did you see the label that says it was from SNF? From experience I've seen some Wagyu Beef that looked no better than some of the prime beef I sell. That being said this looks fantastic! One note, did you cut the tri tip in half for easier slicing? As I'm sure you know of the 90 degree rule for slicing.

I cut it down the middle of the boomerang and turn sideways for across the grain cut for sure.

He told me SRF, I'll go back when we entertain again. He's the only one in town with Wagyu so I will have to deal with his attitude.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

NO! You might still buy product from his store, but DON'T put up with that sh!tty customer service. For the price point of SRF Wagyu, he should be kissing your as$, not vice versa! 

I totally agree with that. 

Somebody is going to have to totally kiss my as$ for me to buy SRF Wagyu. Prime American Black Angus is going to be close. None of your guests will notice the difference and I bet you could save some money. 

Edited by ckreef